Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we picked up the 99 550 Maranello today, went off without a hitch. Soon after we got on the road though the "check engine" light came on, however there were no symptoms. Close to home (after near 6 hours of driving at 70-75 with the occasional sprint up to 100-120MPH), the engine began to "flat spot" above 3000 rpm, and exhaust was MUCH louder at low rpm/idle. We were close to home at that point so just broght it back to the garage... once in the developement the "slow down" light began to alternate with the "check engine". It would seem to me that since "slow down" according to the book is indicitave of overheated cats, that perhaps one of the cats is dead? If so, seems a good time to go with hyperflows or test pipes.

Also, does anyone recommend a good shop in/near Jacksonville FLA? The closest dealer is in Orlando, nearly a 4 hour drive, which doesn't seem like a good idea with the engine not running right, and would be prohibitavely expensive to have it delivered to them.

Thanks!

Other than that though LOVE the car. Only problem is at 100+ it feels more stable and comfortable and effortless than my Jeep does at 45...

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, Brandon, not the way you want your first Ferrari experience to be.

I think you're on the right track with a bad cat, but my technical knowledge is limited.

I can tell you from personal experience, however, that the 550 also feels that planted at 160pmh, and she'll still be accellerating hard. So plenty of scope to get into trouble once she's running fine. :)

I hope it gets sorted out ASAP.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already contacted the contact for Florida FCA.
Looking into getting either hyperflow cats, or test pipes (no emissions inspection in this part of Florida).

BTW, one of the options listed on the sticker for this car is "EE plates" Any idea what that is??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i am now back in (freezing cold!) Pennsylvania. Ferrari left back at my parents in Florida. Ordered Hyperflow cats and center "X" pipe. Hopefully that fixes the problem (if not it's something we wanted to do anyway, and had an excuse for!). Still want to get it to someone to generally have it checked out though.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Sorry for your troubles hope you have it sorted out keep us posted..:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question:
I believe the 550 uses Bosch fuel injection/ECU.
It seems to me like a Porsche/Mercedes dealer would be able to diagnose it as well, since last I knew they also use Bosch Motronic. Would that be a pretty good bet for getting some basic service/diagnosis?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good News!! Relatively anyway. Steve at Omega has tracked the engine problem down to either a failed sensor or coil leading to one bank of cylinders not firing. Which is pretty much exactly what it felt like. So far he has not found any other anomolies.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao

For those who asked here's the pictures I managed to snap in the garage... will try to get more/better this weekend.

I always loved the 550 ever since I saw the pic of my car beside one
here it is.
Good too hear about your mech finding the problem...:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GOOD NEWS!!
Steve at Omega has looked the car over in detail, and found no indication of any damage/bodywork/repair. Everything on the car looks on the up and up, Running problems are attributed to an ignition pickup and rubber housings on the fuel pumps degrading (suspected gasoline addative). He's got the fuel system cleaned out of all the debris, and hopefully new fuel pumps will be in Monday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts