Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just washed my car. The front is getting chipped from various things I hit when driving. That is not good.

I took a drive yesterday to a reseller in Newport. There was a 550 with a clear coating on the front. The salesman told me it was a 3M product, which is easy to put on and off. You would have to look very closely in order to see it.

My question is have any of you used this product or have any knowledge of it?

:question:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd be interested in the reply to this.

When I bought the 355 I commented on the fact that there weren't any stone chips to the front. The reply was that they have the bonnet resprayed everytime they sell them. I really really don't think I believe this.

So what's the answer ?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I'm surprised the car doesn't already have a clear coat from the factory. My car did. For those that were asking the question, a clear coat is just like paint only its clear. Its a protective layer that goes over the paint. Ideally it protects the original coat of paint on the car. The 3M product is probably something similar, but the results will probably not be as good as a true clear coat from bumper to bumper. I'm moving this to the tech section as this is a tech question.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Bart,

My advice is to take a look around the DuPont Registery web-site. I remember a 3M "film" listing there. I know the film comes in different packages for different cars. I'm not sure whether or not there's a package ready for a 550 but you could certainly take a look. I've been pretty fortunate with chips; it could be the design of my car in comparison to yours; just an idea. Remember, these little chips are just "wrinkles where the smiles have been..." (Jimmy Buffet) 8) However, I don't blame you for worrying about them.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dane, I have not personally had experience with it but I knew of a person who had a 308 who put this film that you speak of on the front of their 308 GTS and said that you could not tell that it was even on there without close inspection. It could be removed at anytime. I know it exists but that's about all I can give on the subject. I also agree the 308 328 designs don't seem to catch a lot of things to chip the front end. The scoop design helps there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Magoo,

Could you tell me where your friend bought the film and if so, a cost? I'd like to look into it as Bart has me thinking more about it. Thanks.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dane, The person was someone posting on another site. If I knew who it was now I would be glad to check but it has been some time. But that sort of thing does exist and worked well I understand.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Magoo,

Got it. If you do come across it, I'd appreciate the information. I do know DuPont Registery has it advertised on their site. Thanks anyways.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I learned something.

My daughter had an accident with my every day car last Saturday night. Today the insurance adjuster called to settle my claim. The car was totaled. I purchased the car about two years ago for $10,900. I settled for $10,700, which means my car cost me $200 over not quit 2 years. That is not a bad deal.

I had to drive out from where I lived to the desert where the car is. Since today is Friday, I took my real car for a drive. It was a pleasant drive out but on the way, back I discovered to my horror a problem. The driver’s window is always down when I drive. My arm was out the window when I began to feel sand hitting my arm. It did not hurt the arm but what was it doing to my car? Crap. Small pits in the windshield and marks on my front end. I saw a double trailer carrying sand in the slow lane. What can I do? Traffic was heavy.
Zoom. I had to get ahead of that truck, which I did.

This leads back to my question. Does anyone know what that 3M product is which covers the front end?

Me, I will try the DuPont Registry but I will get something.

:evil:

·
Registered
286 Posts
What you were experiencing was a sandblasting of your vehicle. If much of that is done you will eventually notice it big time on your windshield. Which of course there is no protection for the windshield.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Bart,

I'm just doing a follow-up to this post. Did you find out anything? What have you done? Just curious. Thanks.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey Dane and Bart, The name of the product is 3M Scotchheal Paint Protection Film. If you are interested email me and I can probably get you in touch with a distributor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts