Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father recently passed away leaving my mom with his '94 348 Spyder. She doesn't know the first thing about how to go about selling it and asked if I could take care of it for her.

It was purchased used at Ron Tonkin in Portland in '96 and now has 12,285 miles on it. I'm not sure if it has had the service that should be done at 12,500 miles, I'm trying to confirm that.

Would it be best to put it on consignment at a place like Ron Tonkin or sell it privately?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
My father recently passed away leaving my mom with his '94 348 Spyder. She doesn't know the first thing about how to go about selling it and asked if I could take care of it for her.

It was purchased used at Ron Tonkin in Portland in '96 and now has 12,285 miles on it. I'm not sure if it has had the service that should be done at 12,500 miles, I'm trying to confirm that.

Would it be best to put it on consignment at a place like Ron Tonkin or sell it privately?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I am sure Ron would be a good source, but probably would require more history before attempting such.

Is there no paperwork on the car. Would be interested in seeing what it looks like.

Ron 'may' consign, but with no warranty nor expressed involvement..highly doubtful

You might try Jim Lyons of San Diego/La Jolla fame. He is one of the largest if not the largest Ferrari bulk mover in the country. Nice guy. Sports Car company in La Jolla. His cars sell basically for what they are worth.....I can usually find what ever his deals, they are honest and on mark/target.

He might help you too. http://www.sportscarcompany.com/

PS: Can you post the trailing numbers from the VIN, the serial numbers we might have more data on that car than you know.

rik

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for the paper work but Dad had a 12,000 sq ft shop stuffed full of stuff so it may take a little time. It's blue paint with tan interior. I suggested a different color but he was adament about getting blue at the time.

I'm not sure what the "trailing numbers" on the vin means. The vin number I have has two letters and 7 numbers. Are you asking about the last 7 numbers? If so I put them into registry search and didn't turn up anything.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for the paper work but Dad had a 12,000 sq ft shop stuffed full of stuff so it may take a little time. It's blue paint with tan interior. I suggested a different color but he was adament about getting blue at the time.

I'm not sure what the "trailing numbers" on the vin means. The vin number I have has two letters and 7 numbers. Are you asking about the last 7 numbers? If so I put them into registry search and didn't turn up anything.

Thanks again.
Yes, trailing numbers: Look on the top of the steering column. there is a plate there with the vin... send abou the last seven numbers

BLUE ON TAN !!!! AWSOME combo....that should sell very well IMO, PM a price!!

all I need is another 348 type, but that one sounds nice.

PS: Look in the trunk or front boot area for the tool case/books...as most owners kept that stuff in the car, WHERE IT SHOULD BE, and not in some safe or something.....best advice to give anyone, keep it all together. otherwise, like you now, searching and hunting.......might be lost forever

IF LOST expect about a $5,000 loss automatically or might not even get a sale due to it missing...

LOOK for that paperwork and books highly prized.

rik

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
You would do well to try to educate yourself a bit on the model or to find some one locally who can assist you.

If a reseller knows your situation or your unfamiliarity with the car you may be exploited!

Can you please post a photo of the car? Open the engine lid and there should be a sticker there that states what the actual blue color is.

We can collectively try to help but the more you know the greater your return will be.

Was your father in the automotive business?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gcalo, thanks for your input. I am trying to do the education part as we go along. The car is about 40 miles away at my mom's, I'll try and get some pictures as soon as I can.

Not the automotive business, he co-founded a company in the early 70's that began by making field emitters (for instruments like scanning electron microscopes), progressed to focusing optics for the emitters, and from there to full system level products. The company went public and the stock did well so he pretty much lived the american dream. The family didn't have a lot of money when we were young and he had wanted a Ferrari ever since I could remember so this car is the result of all that.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
you wouldn't be in the eastern WA area would you? Near Yakima or such?

Had a good friend, who was in the electronic business, went into Flying Tomcats in the Navy, we were roommates and partners in crime. I choose not to fly, not my deal, but got a pilot's license paid by the navy anyway.

He was a hoot.....about 50ish+ if he survived, but I could tell stories

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The color is Scuro Blue. I'm being told that due to the age of the car it needs to have an engine out service to change the timing belt, to the tune of 6-8k$ regardless of total miles. Is there enough of a premium in resale to justify the service before sale (I'm guessing yes). A Ferrari is an expensive mistress indeed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you wouldn't be in the eastern WA area would you? Near Yakima or such?

Had a good friend, who was in the electronic business, went into Flying Tomcats in the Navy, we were roommates and partners in crime. I choose not to fly, not my deal, but got a pilot's license paid by the navy anyway.

He was a hoot.....about 50ish+ if he survived, but I could tell stories
No I'm in the Portland area and dad was 75 when he passed.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Great story.

Saddest parrt is that you lost your dad.

I have lost both parents and not a day does not go by whereupon I do not think of them.

Post some pictures here and maybe someone might (who me?) get interested.

Welcome to F.L. incase I forget to welcome you before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome and kind words. He was an extraordinary man and I had the great fortune of working with him everyday for 30+ years. I'll try and get some pictures soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would first try and find all the service records for the car. Do you know where he might of had it serviced? They could tell you what's been done or what it might be due for. Until you know whats been done, you don't know what it needs, or what it should sell for. Post some pictures here, I'm sure you will get some advice. How many miles on it?
Sorry to hear about your dad, I'm afraid I will be facing the same situation in a few years. Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
you can also post it on ferrari ads .com that may help

as a matter of fact, of the several sites I listed my Mondial T, about over a year ago, probably two, I received the ONLY hits on the ad, about five from Ferrari Life. Really surprised me in that I was listed in two Ferrari club letters, and two other online Ferrari sites.

I wound up selling my 456 rims and a 456 exhaust cans via Ferrari Life.

And that was only about six months ago with about two week lead.

I consider that very good.

rik

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The color is Scuro Blue. I'm being told that due to the age of the car it needs to have an engine out service to change the timing belt, to the tune of 6-8k$ regardless of total miles. Is there enough of a premium in resale to justify the service before sale (I'm guessing yes). A Ferrari is an expensive mistress indeed.
I would also suggest calling Mike Sheehan at www.ferraris-online.com. He shoudl be able to give you a good idea of its current value and what you need to do to be able to sell it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll be able to see the car on Wednesday so I should know more about then.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll be able to see the car on Wednesday so I should know more about then.
Good luck to you my sympathies to you and your family especially your mother. My father just passed away on Feb 16th so I do feel your pain and sorrow. Glad we are able to help you out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought it was blue and tan but it is blue and blue. I have to say I was a little disapointed when I finally got over to take pictures. My dad was ill for while and the car was sitting in his temp controlled shop. Unfortunately the top was down and the cover was not put on. It will need a full detail and the engine out service before being presentable. I also learned it was Ron Tonkins personal car prior to being sold to my dad in '96 (for what ever that's worth, I don't know). Any advice on the best strategy to sell it (have a detail and service done before sale, sell as is, and etc) would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts