Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I had my bumper repainted due to paint chips. What a mistake that was! :eek: The body shop cannot get the giallo modena paint correct! Is it so difficult to mix the paint? I understand it has couple of colors to make up the giallo modena. Is there anywhere I can buy a ready mixed giallo modena paint? Or is this question crazy in the sense that the color must be matched each time to each car due to fades, etc? Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,
355days

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where do you live? Let's see if someone near you can reccomend a shop that specializes in Ferrari's that's close to you.

If not there is a shop near me that does only Ferrari. Although I have seen a McLaren F1 there. So, they'd be able to mix the paint for you. But, as you know paint fades. The original color and what your car is may be different due to some fading.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Usually the paint has to be mixed. I believe your car uses Dupont correct? I know Ferrari at one time used PPG. Look on the car's plate and you'll see a paint number that should match Dupont's paint codes.

Check the tech section as well as I posted something about paint not too long ago.

·
Registered
776 Posts
www.paintscratch.com

Just look up your paint code from your sticker which is probably 4305. :wink:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
GIALLO MODENA 4305 D.S. to be exact. A lot of companies mix paint for you. Take your car there and they will colormatch the paint for you. Don't ask me where, but I bet there are people here who can tell you.

Welcome here ;)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I am very surprised with your problem. All paint shop have this computerised colour mixture and they can mix any colour or shade. Change your painter.

If you lift the engine cover of the 355, you'll see a Glasurit (paint company) sticker beneath the cover. It's got the code number of your original paint. Now just ask the guy to order that paint. Unless the car has been repainted a different colour in which case get a spray shop that has the computerised paint mix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again, and thank for your reply. I live in Tokyo Japan so I can't take it to a shop in the States where I think computerization does everything. According to the body shop, the computerized paint mixer does not work too well and it becomes manual mixing at the end. Any other advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hey just use the paint code that I've told you to look for inside the rear engine cover, if it's not there look under the front boot cover. It's a Gasurit sticker (a Machaw bird logo) and the paint code is on it. In any case the painter has to take into account the 'faded' colour of the body paint and adjust the shade accordingly. I am surprised that they don't have the computerised paint mixture in Japan! I'm shocked really.

·
Registered
383 Posts
yeah it shouldn't be a problem. the colour code is on that plaque near the engine bay. Unless it was rosso corsa or titanium or nero to begin with. But if it was originally in giallo, there shouldn't be much hassle in getting the colours right.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The Ferrari Club there in Japan should be able to get you in touch with a good paint shop that they would recommend. Email Enzo250GTO who posted earlier, and lives in Japan, and I'm sure he'll give you a good contact. This really should be a no-brainer. Get another paint shop.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have it as:
FER 102 on a Testarossa/512 TR/F512M
FER 102 D.S. on early 355's
4305 D.S. on later 355's
4305 D.S. on 360's
4305 D.S. on 550's

That is all giallo modena, so I guess somewhere in the 355 production they changed the code. Maybe the color slightly differs too, I don't know that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone!

I appreciate everyone's help. Just one question if its OK. My paint is 102D.S. Does this mean that I use this code and ask a Glasurit dealer to send me the paint? Is it that easy? Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It's correct, but the painter has also to match the colour with the overall fade of the rest of the body. That's the skill of the painter. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts