Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a few posts about Euro and US Specs and it’s a little vague to me. From what I understood is that Euro has mileage in km and US in miles, but what else ? Here in Canada we use km, so does that mean all Canadian Ferrari’s are Euro specs ? I have seen a few for sale specifying Euro specs…

I need some help to understand ?!?!?! :-?

:roll:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
US regulations for safety and emissions are much more stringent than in Europe. They don't add the extra expensive and power-robbing emission controls for the cars in the European market to meet US regs.

I'm pretty sure Canadian regs are much the same as those in the US so probably every car built for the North American market meets US spec.

The cars you see advertised as "Euro spec" were imported to North America by a private individual. Like if you were to buy a car in Europe and have it shipped over. They still have to be upgraded once they get here for safety and pass an emissions test.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Pete, what your saying is besides mileage reading, its only emission regulations ?

I also heard from US members saying "contact DOT to find out specifics about the car", is DOT - Department of Transportation ?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Not only emissions, there are some safety things too such as height of lights, 3rd brake light, brightness of lights, window glass quality, air bags, child safety, etc.

DOT is the US Department of Transportation. I believe in your neck of the woods Transport Canada would be the comparable department.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer said:
The bumpers and side impact specs are also different on US cars.
yes, and that´s why the US spec F40s look "bad": those black bumpers really killed Pininfarina´s greatest design ever

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys !

I feel less stupid....lol :lol:

I wonder if registering one can be a problem ? in Canada anyways !

Saw a really nice 91 TR for 80k CAN....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts