Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm new to this forum.
I'm looking into a 1987 Ferrari Testarossa for $5,500
The picture of the car looks clean and good. I have no idea what a '87 goes for, so sorry if this question sounds really dumb.

Miles: 47,777
Doors: 2 doors
Transmission: Manual
Interior: Tan
Engine: 12 - Cyl.
Year: 1987
Warranty: No
VIN Number: zffsg17a7h0070391
Title: Clear
Exterior: Red
Condition: Used

Does this sound too cheap? Do you think it's a fake/scam?
Also, if this was real, what should I look for in buying a well maintained car?
Also, what are common things that break or need attention? Where would I even buy parts or tuneup things for this car?
Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I'm assuming you mean $55,000, not $5,500. $55k seems about right for the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
BELTS...... BELTS...... BELTS!!!

"When were the Timing Belts done!!!!" ASK!!!

RULE OF THUMB... Belts on the 512 engine are good to 29,999 miles or 9 years 11 months and 29 days.

I say this because if you look this up you will see that when they state 30,000 miles or 10 years/ which ever comes first, it means just what I said... That on the "exact day"... or "mile"... They are known to be on record as breaking....and they do..

So which would you prefer?
$3,000.00- 7,000.00 dollars average for the engine out service. "OR" Door number 3# with OUT OF POCKET $15,000 dollars and "UP" for when you make this misguided mistake and it catches you.. FEELIN LUCKY??

I was fortunate and learned with my first Ferrari many years ago.. "a 85 black Mondial 3.2" (Mine was a "Good Car" and I mean that, "querky", but good),

But when I bought her, I had it taken to the service center by and on a truck.. and when given back the parts package of used parts.. it was noticed that I only got one idler back... so I asked "OH"! you still could use the other?" No was the reply.... It came apart and disintegrated in my hand when I removed the bolt... Just think, he said, "IF" you would have driven it in????

So ask about the belts....and that is at any price....

I hope you made a typo... and it was for $55,000 not $5,500???
Otherwise I would question it and everything deeply.

OH! one more thing. Mine (a 1991) did not like synthetic oil at all. This was back in 1996. She leaked "everywhere" there was a seal or gasket after running and was cooling down... after cold... "nothing". And once I changed back not a spot...

OH YES, Another!!! After Market alarms have been known to cause interior fires if they are installed wrong... so watch if you get one with yours (I've seen two cases at the dealers). I never wanted one so...

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What!? $5.500 for a TR. Gotta be a scam or a misprint. Be affraid...be very affraid!

Cheers!

Kurt

·
Registered
177 Posts
Boxer

Thanks! I pop in from time to time, allways like to put in my $.002 whenever I can. :D I would love to hear some 365BB stories sometime. Its my V-12 Dream car. Love them carb's ya know. I may get a chance to see one in the metal in April. The annual FCA meeting is local this year and after the meeting there is a tour of one of the local collectors collection. I'm sure he has one. Looking forward to seeing one. Like a kid in a candy store!

Cheers !

Kurt

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kurt

I'm even closer(on the other side of OZ)!

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts