Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a great fan of Ferrari cars and also I am a historian. In the classic era of motor racing in the 50' and 60', Mille miglia, Targa Florio, Le mans, TDF,...is possible to find many stories and legends abut Enzo behaviour and his beautiful cars. There are also bad stories about death of pilots behind Ferraris wheels.
I want to know if anyone know samo storys or legends of Ferraris cars. Maybe what happened with a car of Alfonso de Portago after the crash at mille migla of 57'? Or other ferrari cars who pilots died in accidenst? Is there any curse Ferrari? Is there any Ferrari with special history conected with Enzo? Ok, for me all the Ferraris are special, from the modial to 250 gto;), but I wants the know the mysterys and myths about the cars from Maranello.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
The prancing horse was the symbol on Italian World War I ace Francesco Baracca's fighter plane, and became the logo of Ferrari after the fallen ace's parents, good friends with Enzo Ferrari, asked him so, to continue his tradition of sportsmanship, gallantry and boldness. The yellow background is the traditional colour of the town of Modena.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The prancing horse was the symbol on Italian World War I ace Francesco Baracca's fighter plane, and became the logo of Ferrari after the fallen ace's parents, good friends with Enzo Ferrari, asked him so, to continue his tradition of sportsmanship, gallantry and boldness. The yellow background is the traditional colour of the town of Modena.
If anyone read italian:

http://www.lanciaflavia.it/archivio_caseautoita/Storia-Ferrari.php

(the page explain in details how the Ferrari simbol changes through the years and also describe the history della casa automobilistica Ferrrari).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Really The Cars at Maranello are all created in good spirit and in good will!:D
If there are mysteries about the cars, they'd only be on a positive note...

Just curious, is "Ferrari" big on capital investment on machinery, or are they still for hands on labour?
;)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Really The Cars at Maranello are all created in good spirit and in good will!:D
If there are mysteries about the cars, they'd only be on a positive note...

Just curious, is "Ferrari" big on capital investment on machinery, or are they still for hands on labour?
;)
My friend just came back from a trip to Europe and paid visit to the Maranello factory tour. He was quite disappointed saying that modernization has replaced much of the old flavor. Jimmy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
My friend just came back from a trip to Europe and paid visit to the Maranello factory tour. He was quite disappointed saying that modernization has replaced much of the old flavor. Jimmy
Quite a telling comment. Between this and the launch of the Ferrari Rodeo Drive (i.e. California), they have to be very careful that they do not loose the soul of the company and become just another modern high performance car manufacturer.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Leon, my feeling is that mystery & myths are long gone w/ a charismatic chief like Ferrari. The current CEO is far from it, albeit he may be a brilliant executive reaping profits for Fiat. I believe Ferrari produced around 6,000 cars and their next goal is 8,000 for the year. And this number does not include the shared engines for Maserati lines. Jimmy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi guys! First post.

I just thought I would add some little tidbits that I've learned along the way....primarily on the advent of the 250 GTO..

**The 250 GTO (Gran Turismo Omologato, 250 for the size of the combustion chambers in cc's.) was never technically a full production car and was the last front engine race car ever created by Ferrari. Giotto Bizzarrini created the inital design, but was shortly fired/left (debated) after a fallout with Enzo over the design. (Bizzarrini went on to design his own series of sports cars afterwards and did rather well. A Bizzarrini Strada recently sold at auction for 1.5 mil. )

Through "creative schmoozing" with FIA officials, Ferrari insisted that the GTO was a package based around the 250 series beginning in 1954. (FIA rules stated that 100 production cars must be built to qualify...and it is WELL documented that only 39 TRUE GTOs' were ever made...33 "regular" GTO's, 3 with a 4.0L V12, and 3 others with revised aerodynamics.) It was really nearly a complete redesign from the 250 GT that competed in 1961 because they needed more aerodynamics in their GT race cars that were getting hounded by the Jaguar E-Types....some might say it was cheating to an extent, though Ferrari enthusiasts will hotly debate this. (also note the similar lines of the '61 E-Type and the '62 GTO. ;) )

Until 1965, the 250 GTO was nearly untouchable, having won the factory championship in '62, '63, and '64. The Shelby Daytonas' starting showing the GTOs' up and Ferrari retired it in '65. But now failing to get FIA approval for the '65 250 LM, Ferrari instead made a race version of the 275 GTB.

**The 250 GTO is widely considered the "grandfather of the muscle car era".
A then GM exec/head of Pontiac, John DeLorean, first saw a GTO on a trip to Europe. After seeing them compete, and how wildly popular they were, he decided to go back to Detroit and suggest a freshening of the Pontiac Tempest with the most powerful V8 they could fit between the frame rails....the product of which we now know as the famous Pontiac GTO...the worlds' first muscle car.

**The gated shifter, synonymous with Italian sportscars, was first seen in the 250 GTO.

As for specific "tragic stories"...there are TONS. There's no model specific voodoo that I know of, there are plenty of interesting chassis specific stories to be had. Here's one from the net...A Series III owner that bought the car to help ease his war-addled brain...that ends up committing suicide...which his family sells the car to pay for his funeral (ironic, no? )

Okay for a first post? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts