Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys,

I just wanted to show my other passion. I haven't got a ferrari as I explaint in my introduction (only two man will fit you know;) ) But i have something that pretty close to a ferrari.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Beautiful bike!:D

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
That's definately the Ferrari of motorcycles you've got there! WOW! I was looking at the pictures and I was thinking, "Gee, the front brake rotors on that bike look bigger that the ones on my 308." :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
OMG, what a lovely bike, it is absolutely the one I desire

the only one I'd take over yours is the MV Agusta Senna F4, but that's just because I'm a fan of Senna, because when it comes to the machine yours is probably even a bit better

share a little more about the experience of owning that beast, please

and congratulations, of course, for having the best bike in the world

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Onno, how did you get that photo of me at work?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really love it to death. It's maybe just like a ferrari. A bit of motorsport history and magic in my livingroom. And just like a ferrari you will get a nice crowd when we stop for a drink. (my friend has one two) Just like the senna only 300 where made worldwide. And only 88 mv agusta (all models) are sold each year in belgium and Holland ( at least that's what my dealer said:D )

I bought mine right when I saw it, I just felt in love with it. Who couldn't love those four pipes right under the back seat.
Hopefully the same will happen to me with a ferrari.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
rickadelic, the four pipes under the seat combined with the imense rear tire and that killer looking rear light makes the bike insane from the back

the other details make it amazing from any other angle! hehehehe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Its only like a Ferrari in two ways, exclusivity, and the fact that it has radial valve arrangement. Two things that couldn't matter less to me when I go for a romp im my car.

First of all Ferrari WAS all about engines. Enzo never designed a car in his life. He built racing motors for racing cars and comissioned his engine designs to be implemented into production raod cars, whos beautiful bodies were designed by coachmakers and fasion designers for the sole purpose of funding his racing engine developement. The new MV's don't even design or manufacture their own engines, they are outsourced from one-time parent company Cagiva. Although they commisioned Ferrari engineers, who worked with Cagiva many times, to design the new F4 engine. They decided not to use thier design, which was based on the 1991 F1 engine. They did however use the radial valve layout which remains as MV's one claim to fame--something they just borrowed from Ford Cosworth and Ferrari designs from the late 80's.

MV Agusta is nothing more than a corporate logo tied to a historic racing past, again, whos history included very passionate family who's sole purpose for living was racing. The company went into complete shambles after its founder died. It parodies Ferrari in this manner up until the 1970's when the company went under. At least "New" Ferrari has the respect to build cars based on the ideals of Enzo himself. MV can't even say that, as they were purchased by Cagiva in 1991 and not one element of earlier MV's remains in their designs--except the logo. It has since been bounced around by a number of non-motoring companies in an attempt to ressurect the once legendary marque. It should have been laid down to die, with dignity and respect.

MV's are but a mere shadow of their former selves, a truly iconic brand in the 50's. The thing that really seperates them from Ferraris today are their capabilities. An F4 on a track cannot keep the pace with Japanese machines that cost 4 times less. They aren't even close to Japanese bikes in terms of ergonomics, quality, fit & finish, and as far as I'm concerned are only marginally better looking. By comparison, Ducati's are much better proportioned and have less distracting trinkets--and gold plated anything on a car or motorcycle is just plain tacky.

Ferraris are cutting edge (production wise), great performers, and always focus on the pure enjoyment of driving. The F4 is none of those things. In fact, when I first rode an F4 about 6 years ago, it was no doubt very powerful, but it was also unsettled, had an unatural rding position, had parts falling off of it, and was impossible to shift from second to third, or into neutral. Again I had tested a 2005 model (which was a 1000cc, and was even more powerful) which still had a horrble, clunky excuse for a gearbox, an ackward riding postition, and with its newfound power was just unmanagable, even with racing slicks fitted. It handled with no predictability. It is very brutal in its power delivery--not a good trait for such a machine.

If you have to have something exotic, Ducati's are a much more rational bike, and as of late, they are also very good, enjoyable performers. Even the 2008 Bimota's outclass the MV's in every way.

Sorry, don't mean to flame, but as a lover of all things Enzo and MV Agusta's of old, I felt a little insulted by the comparison to Ferrari.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I think Rick was comparing it to a Ferrari as it is an more exclusive bike than most, and with the history of it. I don't think it was a direct comparison.

Chris

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ Red Racer nice write up but I think you over-react and over-conclude.

Don't get me wrong not everything is great about mv agusta. Suchs as the customer service directly from the factory everything takes too much time. And because the entire group (mv agusta-cagiva) is in a financial low they dont have the money to make a completely new bike.

But on all other grounds I think it's one of the best bikes in the world. The riding I think is very smooth, yes its powerful but it handles like a dream (especially on higher speeds). I am not the only one who thinks the way like this. Almost all motor-magazines say that the best thing on a mv agusta is the handling and offcoarse the design. I know they haven't changed is much over the years but I don't think they need too change I and lots of them love the design.
Service isn't too bad either, it's nothing worse than a ducati (which I also love) or other italian manufactures. Yes its runs over 100 degrees Celsius but thats normal for a F4

I think the history of mv agusta doesn't need no explanation its huge and legandary.

Too bad you feel this way but I haven't had any problems and I love it.

@ Chrishawk4 That's what I tried to say.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Rick

The bike looks fantastic. Its a MV Agusta and reminds me at my childhood when Agostini was (I guess) 7 times champion with the Agusta bike. At that time it was unchallenged. The bike has wonderful agressiv lines as the Ducati's do as well.

I would love to have it in my Garage, it touches emotionally strongly. So it does to you and everything else is not of importance !! Enjoy it.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I'm glad you like the bike, that's cool. My point wasn't to judge you. I just felt like the bike needs to be put in its proper place. It's only significant in its exotic nature. It doesn't really contribute to the world of motorcycling or racing, and that is the definning factor of true performance icons. You compare it to Ferrari, I compare it to a Spyker or TVR. Although that might not be entirely fair, it is more realistic. It's not like I don't also appreciate something different, and I always love the mechanical asthetics of billet parts and race quality cycle components, but the sum of the parts equate to more than the whole in this example.

If you love the bike, what more is there? ...and I hope you really enjoy it. I just sometimes think that people superficially appreciate things based on hype and circumstance, rather than on pure merit. And I'm not talking about media hype, or the influence of others, but within yourself. Sometimes people do things based on certain feelings they have that don't have anything to do with the actual thing in question.

Here are some examples: trucks with 12" lift kits and monster truck tires that have never seen a grain of dirt in their life. Cadillac Escalades with 26" wheels and a stereo so big that only the cars next to you can enjoy the crap you listen to. 800HP powerboats which never make it 1/2 a mile from the marina. The list is virtually endless, but they all have one thing in common--they are all compensation for something else entirely.

The point is, you can't define yourself by the things you own, and I'm not saying that you are that person, but like it or not the MV Agusta F4 is that kind of machine. That's not to say that it is good or bad, thats to say there are other choices that are more in tune to your needs and wants as objects, but only if you are honest with yourself. The fact is, I can appreciate and enjoy the looks of your motorcycle just as much as you can, and I didn't pay 35k to do it.

Maybe I'm just too practical, maybe I'm compensating for something, but I love motorcycles so much that the thrill of riding a truly balanced, confidence inspiring machine, road bike, off-roader, or cruiser, that everthing else is trivial. I didn't get that experience when riding an F4. I've ridden litterely hundreds of motorcycles, have owned at least 25, and I am involved with motorcycles everyday of my life. I am a certified Harley-Davidson tech, certified Ducati tech, Dyno-Jet certified, and have taken every single course offered at MMI, twice as many as needed to graduate. I recently was Race-Tech certified and currently work with BBR as a design consultant--

Those are my credentials, and those are my opinions. Take them or leave them.

Either way, glad to see you have a passion for motorcycles. Cheers!

P.S. this was the year MV was to return to racing, but finnancial problems have held them back. Hopefully we can see them next year in World Superbike, for that will surely improve their bikes, increase sales, and drive the prices down. SBK certainly tranformed Ducati from expensive, unreliable, and akward machines into regular mainstream performers that don't cost TOO much compared to the competition. Ohh, and sorry to Ferrari Life members for all the two wheeled discussion--allthough I always thaught Ferrari should get into bikes. Lamborghini and Pinninfarina tried it once--it was a hideous machine. Maybe Ferrari used that as inpiration not to. lol

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Oh don't worry this forum is about 40% Ferrari and 60% about anything imaginable.

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
wat a peice of shit my lawnmower has a bigerr motor than that
Hmm...not something you say when you just join a forum...

Chris

1 - 20 of 251 Posts