Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this site. From what I read it should be a good one.

The toys in my garage:
1) 1988 TR
2) 1983 Boxer (BBi)
3) 1988 Range Rover. A project car to have fun with. Will use as my
ATV when I finish with it.
4) 1997 Ford 350, with diesel, dually rear tires, flatbed with full dump
feature, and snow plow in front. Oh yes, 4 x 4. Comes in handy
when I do remodeling, and of course, snow plowing.
5) 1985 Ford diesel backhoe.......what a toy!!!!!! A must for all boys.
6) 1985 CASE-IH tractor, with a David Brown diesel engine............
cheaper than an Aston Martin!
7) ???????????????????????????Still looking for a bulldozer.

My 98 Toyota Camry (everyday driver) usually sits outside.

I would like to post some pictures. Just bought a digital camera. I am now able to get it into the computer, but the size of the pictures is WAY too large. Am I shooting at a too large image size? Can someone tell me what size it should be........I have a range of 640 x 480 up to 2560 x 1920.......with a total choice of 5. I used the largest size for my first set of photos, and the whole monitor screen showed just 1/10th of the picture......had to use the side and bottom bars.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Henry,
Welcome! And what an awesome toybox! I can't wait to see the pics. I prefer the 640 x 480 size. I hope you become a regular on this site as we have some common interests in vehicles. In addition to the Ferrari, I also have a 4x4 Jeep as a toy and a 3/4 ton diesel truck as a workhorse. I look forward to hearing more from you soon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hello Henry.

I like to import my photos from the camera into Adobe Photoshop and re-size from there (plus clean things up a bit like sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc...). Any of the pics I posted here have been sized at 5 X 7" at 72dpi.

Cool collection of "toys". Its just like being a grown-up kid, Tonka trucks parked next to 1:18 Bburago Ferraris... :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter: The picture is HUGE. I will have to get some one here to help me . Here comes another one.....a close-up of the Ferraris, and then one final one of the machine shed.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The picture of the machine shed is not worth the time it takes to send these.......but another angle of the Ferraris is. I will work on the size matter.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Henry,
Welcome to the forum. I have to say your first picture on here is my favorite posted pic to date. As far as size of the pictures goes if you don't want to resize them with a program try a 800x600 setting on the camera (one size up from 640x480). Or if you want to e-mail them to me I can resize them and touch them up as Peter said in Photoshop. I can then e-mail them back to you.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Welcome Henry.

nice collection of wheels
but i preffer the Ferrari's :wink:

and IMO i preffer your size of pics, but in time you will notice that i'm a photo freak that likes high res :green:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrew: Thanks for the information, and the resizing. My camera has a lowest setting of 640x480, with the next size being 1280x960. It then goes up 3 more to the largest, which is 2560x1920. I am just learning the camera...it is a Sony DSC-F707. Which do you recommend?

I can resize the picture in the camera, or on the computer.....which is better? Will I loose resolution as I go to a lower size?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DJ Dirk: Hello neighbor! I live in Brussels......really, but in WI. It is a heavily Belgian farming community.......VERY nice people. The most common name here is Vandertie.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Henryk said:
DJ Dirk: Hello neighbor! I live in Brussels......really, but in WI. It is a heavily Belgian farming community.......VERY nice people. The most common name here is Vandertie.
:green: That's funny
so they are real Belgians???
and they can speak dutch?

BTW WI where is that in the US?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Henryk said:
I can resize the picture in the camera, or on the computer.....which is better? Will I loose resolution as I go to a lower size?

Thanks
yes
you will loose res if you lower the size
best alter them with a photoediting prog

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dj: Thanks for the advice

These are REAL Belgians, and most speak Dutch. It's the only language that the cows understand.....really!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dj: WI is for the State of Wisconsin. I live on the penisula that extends into Lake Michigan. I am about 200 miles North of Chicago.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Henryk said:
Dj: Thanks for the advice

These are REAL Belgians, and most speak Dutch. It's the only language that the cows understand.....really!!!!
Ah, thanks now i have an idea where it is, i find it pretty funny that you live in a city that's called Brussels. I live near Antwerp.

BTW do you know some of the Belgian people??
or better, can you untherstand them

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Henry,
To just to clear something up. I have a Sony DSC 770 which I think is similar to yours. If you go with a smaller size it will only affect the printing quality. It really won't effect viewing on the internet. As Peter said he resizes his with 72dpi or pixels per inch. This is what the majoritiy of monitors produce($2,000 SGI monitors on the other hand can produce 300dpi). If you want to print your photos generally you need 300dpi per inch. So if you have it at its highest 2800(or whatever it is) Divide that by 300 which equals 9.34. So at the highest setting you could print a nice picture that is 9.34 inches by X inches. Sony also has different compression settings (Max, Highest, High, Med, Low). In Max it usually saves the file as a .tiff not a .jpg. A .jpg is compressed by the Sony camera, the .tiff is not. So for the purpose of posting pictures a High or Highest setting with 640x480 would work great. If you want larger step it up one to 1280x1024. The file size will depend on both settings of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DJ: I know several Belgian families here. Have been invited to a number of dinners.......the Trippe sausage, and Kolaches where a real treat!!!!!!

Do I understand them?....SURE........because they speak English to me. I have heard them speak Dutch only to themseves.....AND the cows......really!

Many years ago, when the Belgians came over, they settled in this area......and, of course, appropriately naemd it Brussels. My house, built by Belgians around 1906 has poured concrete as the outside wall, all the way up to the roof (two story).......I have NEVER seen this before.....must be tornado proof!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts