Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just got my first ferrari mondial 8 :D and after being in storage for 12 years i brought it home and got it running but it seems to be back firing when i let off on the gas ,also in 2nd and 3rd gear there seems to be loading up , any input would be great , i have'nt found a service repair book on it yet , thanks kevin

·
Registered
770 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kevin - and congratulations on the Mondial - fantastic car!!

How did you find it? Had you been looking long? What else did you look at, or was this "the one" from the start?

I'm afraid I can't help with your problem though - I haven't really worked out how the internal combustion engine works yet!! :nuts:

Finally, everyone else will ask - so I'll make sure I get in first:

LET'S SEE SOME PICS!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hi Kevin, great to hear from a Mondial owner (I am SO jealous).

You can access original manual documents from by registering at the official owner's site at http://www.owners.ferrari.com.

Backfiring on "off-throttle" could be (1) overly rich or (2) overly lean mixture (either of which can lead to unburnt fuel vapour in exhaust manifold), or (3) air leak at mainfold gaskets (intake or exhaust).

Not sure what you mean about "loading-up". Is that "bogging-down" as in not able to rev cleanly? Possibly the fuel injection system needs a good clean-out / new filters / etc. Looking at a couple of plugs may show if it is starving of fuel.

Some pics when you're able would be very yummy! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bazil , well to tell you this story is one of those......right place right time

i was doing some work for some folks and they were talking about the car that has'nt moved in a while ,so that peaked my intrest .......
" it was parked a while ago"
"she tells me 12 yrs ago we pulled it in the garage and kinda just left it there " it has 15160 miles on it ....so i started taliking to them about doing some of there other cars and it went from there ......

4kids 3 fish, (nice name ,i'm 2 kids 3 fish and a dog- lol) i was thinking the same thing about the "running rich " but really did'nt know what to start with seeing how every car has there "normal problems"
and i guess you could call it bogging down also i was thinking of the cat might be bad because under a load it does it i'll try to post a picture

·
Registered
308 Posts
It was in storage for 12 YEARS !! Did they start it periodically? Did they do anything to the fuel in the tanks to stabilize it? I agree that it sounds like fuel delivery issues....due to the loooong storage. Inactivity and flat out abuse do about the same harm. Ferraris seem particularly sensitive to long storage.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
A lot of the rubber could be dried out to, like all the rings you have and stuff (not very mechanical, so don't ask me what rings) I think the tires are importatnt too. Do you have the same tires on? because if it stood on it's tires for 12 years, they have flat sides. That will cause vibration in the car when driving. The Fuel can't be good after 12 years.

Did you already drive it? Or just revved it a bit?

Please tell us more :) and welcome here :) and yes we want pics :)

·
Registered
749 Posts
72prostreet said:
"she tells me 12 yrs ago we pulled it in the garage and kinda just left it there "
I so wish I had that kind of problem. Surely it can only happen if you have so many interesting cars that you lose track of them all! :roll:

You could try adding some fuel system cleaner to the tank, but it may be as the good Dr says, in that fuel system seals & gaskets (& rings!) could have perished or swollen, making fuel metering & pumping difficult.

Or maybe the flux capacitor valve :green: :wink:

·
Registered
770 Posts
4kids3fish said:
Or maybe the flux capacitor valve
That's a thought actually, I've heard that during very long storage the rubber o-rings on those can dry out. If that's happened, the flux capacitor fluid could have just drained away gradually, especially after 12 years.

It's worth getting a mechanic to check it.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
ok, we got a new member with a serious question, don't let him think we can only talk about flux capacitor valves ok ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stradale said:
It's always that da#n flux capacitor!!! :wink:
that what is was on my lawn mower once but a hammer fixed it :D

i did drain all the fluids and filled it with fuel and a cleaner , i'm hoping after a few tanks it will clear up .....

i tried posting a picture but they said it was to big :eek:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Excellent stuff!! Are the golf clubs there because they don't fit in it?!!

The 8's look so much better in the dark colours, as the bumpers don't stand out as much. Can't quite tell from the picture what colour it is though - is it black or v dark green?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's black and the clubs are waiting till the snow melts ,looking at a high of 42 today ,but i leave for vegas next week and i'll give you a hint on what i'm going to do..........lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Let me know if you need parts! My company is a board sponsor here, and we're located just outside of Flint, MI. I hope we can help. Congratulations on the new F-car!

Best regards,
Brent
DexM llc

·
Registered
187 Posts
After storage for that period of time I would, as you said, drain and replace all fluids. If you haven't done so already I would pull the spark plugs, disconnect the fuel pump and run a compression check to see if there are any bent valves. The reason, often unspoken, why people park a Ferrari and don't do anything with it is because it begins to run badly, sometimes caused by a timing belt skipping and a couple of valves hitting the pistons. A leak down check would also tell a big story as to what kind of condition the internals of your engine is. When people find out what it will cost to fix they go into shock sometimes and park it.

I'm not trying to scare you but if you start there and determine that this aspect of the engine is okay you can proceed to the more obvious things like check and plan to change all of the fuel lines. Change the plug wires if they look original. Pop the distributor caps and clean and inspect the contact points and cap terminals etc.............................

It would help if we knew what year this car is and other specifications.
Good luck,
DJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spasso, thanks for the thought on that i figured with such low miles and it's a 1981 sorry for the delay

i never gave that a thought about it jumping time :eek:

it seems to idle very well tho , new wires and a cap are a must
the plugs i have already done once again thanks for the imput on this :green:

·
Registered
187 Posts
A rule of thumb for Ferrari V8 timing belts as expressed and argued over on other sites, regardless of miles on the odometer the belts should be changed every 5 years due to AGE not mileage. On some newer models it is recommended every three years.

If the car is not run on a regular basis the belts will get a 'stretch spot' in the places where the belt goes around the pulleys and idlers which can cause premature shearing of the belt teeth. If your Mondial has really been sitting for 12 years I would be in a big hurry to change the belts, idler pulleys and cam seals (as long as you are in there) before getting serious about driving the car.

If you are thinking about parts there are many aftermarket sources for belt sets 50% less than a dealer. TRutlands comes to mind.

DJ

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
welcome aboard
and very nice a black Mondial, now that's not something that you tend to see very often, i like it, great choice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BrentC said:
Let me know if you need parts! My company is a board sponsor here, and we're located just outside of Flint, MI. I hope we can help. Congratulations on the new F-car!

Best regards,
Brent
DexM llc
Brent will i left a message on a voice mail for you and you can also e-mail me i do need some parts ....go figure :green:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts