Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently rebuilding my 550 roadcar into a racing car.
All outer and inner panels are removed and replaced by carbon fibre, the body is widened 20cm in the rear, 15cm in the front.
New trailing arms CrMo.
Performance Friction Direct Drive 32x378mm discs in the front, 32x355mm in the rear.
AP racing PRO 5000 series calipers, front 6pot, rear 4pot.
Performance Friction 01 pads both front and rear.
Schmidt racing wheels with centerbolt 11x18" front, 13x18" rear, Yokohama slicks.
AP racing airjacks x4.
Body including roof, carbon fibre instead of the original aluminium (steel in the original doors).
For example the new empty doors now weigh 2000 grams each.
All inner panels, except the firewall, will be cut out and replaced with carbon fibre. The floor panels a honeycomb/carbon fibre sandwich composite.

Attached are some pics that are taken from my stand at the Custom Motor Show at the Elmia congress halls in Jönköping, Sweden during this easter holiday.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,884 Posts
I´m not sure I´d have the guts to do what you are doing

but the 550 looks amazing, as always!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Boy, just looking at these photos brings tears to my eyes - How on earth do you even start on this project? Was the 550 so bad that it needed rebuilding anyway or did you just wake up one morning and start cutting?

Either way good luck, I love those AP brakes, huge!!

Derm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the car with light damage on the body from a fire.
And it actually feels really good to improve a car like the Ferrari in this extreme way :)
Usually I work with BMW racing cars, in my garage I also have a 1983 BMW 635csi racing car that I've rebuilt with a tuned M5 3,6 litre engine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
I think it's an awesome project!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
When it's done can I drive it? Oh Please, oh please, oh please!!
I'll let you drive my 308. Um, wait, I see what you're building, on second thought, you can't drive my 308. You seem to know what you are doing. You'd have my brakes red-hot in less than 2 miles and tell me how the brake fade is really bad and how I could spend more than I paid for the car to improve them.
I think I'll just stick to admiring your race car.
:)
Keep posting the pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,884 Posts
Krille hlm, where are you going to drive it after it´s ready to roll?

Is it going to still be street legal? Or you´ll use it just on the track?

In what kind of race do you plan to drive the monster 550??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
Krille_hlm said:
Pete:

Hehe, are the original brakes really that shitty on the 308? :D
For me, they are awesome brakes. My daily driver is a 3/4 ton pickup truck. So any Ferrari is going to impress me with it's stopping power. For someone that really knows how to drive, they suck.

BTW- My wife's E-class Benz has the best brakes I've ever put my foot on. Smooth and powerfull. That car STOPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,884 Posts
Pete, sorry about my ignorance, but:

does the 308 have ABS?

does the E-class have ABS?

and does the 550 have ABS?

to me, better than a car insurance, is a car with ABS
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,509 Posts
stile - alpine said:
Pete, sorry about my ignorance, but:
does the 308 have ABS?
does the E-class have ABS?
and does the 550 have ABS?
to me, better than a car insurance, is a car with ABS
The 308 does not have ABS, the other 2 cars do. ABS didn't start to be widely installed on cars until the '90s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stile - alpine said:
Krille hlm, where are you going to drive it after it´s ready to roll?

Is it going to still be street legal? Or you´ll use it just on the track?

In what kind of race do you plan to drive the monster 550??
Hi.

It'll be a race-car only.
I'll drive it in the Nordic Supercar series and SLC here in Sweden.
We'll also go down to Germany and race it in the VLN racing series on Nürburgring together with a friend of mine and his team who usually drive a BMW in VLN, team Schwedenkreuz - www.schwedenkreuz.se
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I tried 32mm rotors with the AP calipers originally. After going through 3 sets of rotors we upgraded to 370x35mm as used by the Aussie V8 supercars, which are a similar weight.
If you are serious, you need 12" fronts, all the 550 race cars are running a 300 front/325 rear, the 11" rim is only big enough for a 270. If you are not relocating your engine rearwards you will find that your fronts will need to be at least as big as your rears.
What regulations does your racing series run to, FIA GT1/2/3?
Keep us posted with how you go. I have contacts within last years Bahrain winning 550, in fact I run one of their wings and front dive planes. The car was originally an Ital Technica build, but all the original aero was junked along with the suspension etc to make the car competative, so development is not an easy process. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stephen550 said:
I tried 32mm rotors with the AP calipers originally. After going through 3 sets of rotors we upgraded to 370x35mm as used by the Aussie V8 supercars, which are a similar weight.
If you are serious, you need 12" fronts, all the 550 race cars are running a 300 front/325 rear, the 11" rim is only big enough for a 270. If you are not relocating your engine rearwards you will find that your fronts will need to be at least as big as your rears.
What regulations does your racing series run to, FIA GT1/2/3?
Keep us posted with how you go. I have contacts within last years Bahrain winning 550, in fact I run one of their wings and front dive planes. The car was originally an Ital Technica build, but all the original aero was junked along with the suspension etc to make the car competative, so development is not an easy process. Good luck!
Thank you for the tips Stephen :)
Currently I have Yokohama 280 on my 11" fronts, but I can combine the rims either way I want, I can mount rear inner rims in the front to make them 12"
The regulations in Nordic Supercar is FIA GT 2
Concerning the aero we have guy here in sweden who only works with aerodynamics who's coming over next weekend for the design of the rear end: www.vortaflow.com
He'll also help us with all the other aero on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Krille_hlm said:
Thank you for the tips Stephen :)
Currently I have Yokohama 280 on my 11" fronts, but I can combine the rims either way I want, I can mount rear inner rims in the front to make them 12"
The regulations in Nordic Supercar is FIA GT 2
Concerning the aero we have guy here in sweden who only works with aerodynamics who's coming over next weekend for the design of the rear end: www.vortaflow.com
He'll also help us with all the other aero on the car.
I wish I had your resources!
What's your experience been like with Yokohama slicks? I have tried Pirelli 305/645, Michelin 270/65 and the Dunlop 280/655, which are all pretty much the same size, aside from slightly different diameters, despite the labelling. The Michelins have so far proven fastest and best wearing comparing medium compounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I almost forgot about this thread, some work has actually been done to this car too between all the customers cars we're building all days, Like this drifting car for example; PBZ:s Nissan Skyline R33 where we've built the entire body shell out of carbon fibre with a V-pattern in the middle going from front to end.

Alx Danielsson to the left, winner of ferrari challenge scandinavia 2009, will be driving the carbon fibre bodied Skyline in the Scandinavian Drifting series this season.
Myself to the right.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top