Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just come back from my holidays in the damp south west of England. On one day out we went to the Haynes International Motor Museum near Yeovil in Somerset. There were a few Ferrari's on display inc Schueys 96 F310. There was also a nice collection of supercars which included an Enzo, F40, MCL F1 GTR, Jag XJ220, Countach, and an old Bentley and Bugatti. There were also a few American collections including one which showed the evolution of the Corvette with 5 or 6 different models.

One room is called the Red Room, it must contain at least 100 different red sports cars, but TBH it seems like a real waste of classic cars just being shut away in a museum for the rest of their lives.

I only saw one Fcar on the open roads, a 2002 rosso 360 spider near Lyme Regis in Dorset.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome Back Archie, Well Done On The Pics,:) But Like You I Always Think It's A Bit Sad To See Driveable Cars "imprisoned In Museums" Instead Of Being Used As Their Intended Purpose Was. Still Haven't Found The Right T-car Yet, 3 Viewed So Far, Aaaaargh!! Looks Like A Trip Down South Is On The Cards , Oh Well Patience As They Say....

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Back Archie, Well Done On The Pics,:) But Like You I Always Think It's A Bit Sad To See Driveable Cars "imprisoned In Museums" Instead Of Being Used As Their Intended Purpose Was. Still Haven't Found The Right T-car Yet, 3 Viewed So Far, Aaaaargh!! Looks Like A Trip Down South Is On The Cards , Oh Well Patience As They Say....
Thanks for that. It's nice to be back, I missed this place over the last week. Yes it is sad seeing cars like a Boxer consigned to a museum.

There are a few T's with the independents in England, try Nick Cartwright, Rardleys and Kent High Performance Cars (The Ferrari Centre). Good luck with your hunt.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I Have Been Scouring Everywhere, But As I Have Found To My Cost ,that What Is Advertised Is Not Always What You Find When Close Inspection Is Undertaken!!!! Have One To Look At This Week That Is In A Private Collection, My Guy In The Know ! A Gt2 Head Mechanic Knows The Car, So Hopefully Will Be A More Realistic Option.
Gavin.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the problem when you buy private. Independents cars are more money, but you do find that they have reputations to uphold and normally only stock genuine cars.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Nice pics Archie, wondered where you'd been, forum seemed quiet.
Haven't been to that museum yet.
Got to agree that they should be getting used not rotting away in a museum.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Archie, great to have you back, specially with some nice pictures like that!

Museums are good because you get to see things that you'd never see in "real life", but a shame that the some of the best cars just aren't cars anymore, just sitting ducks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Looks like a great trip Archie.

The F310 is my favourite F1 car ever - especially in the "high nose" format like the one you photographed. It was the first car to have the driver's head protection on the sides (after Senna's death). The older wider cars with slicks look great, don't they?

Also the F310 was the last year that the cars were the darker red colour before moving to a lighter shade because of the Marlboro sponsorship - pity...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Great pics Archie do you have any more?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a few more, most of my pics didn't come out that well as the light wasn't very good or there were too many people around obscuring parts of the cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I must say the front of the XJ220 looks fabulous, specially with the lights open

not a fan of the profile and rear of it, but the front is a masterpiece

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I must say the front of the XJ220 looks fabulous, specially with the lights open

not a fan of the profile and rear of it, but the front is a masterpiece
I agree I always loved this car I think it is Uber sexy.

·
Registered
275 Posts
+1, always loved it as well despite all critics

The good thing is I can fit in it (just) so who knows...someday....

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The XJ220 does look beautiful, they are unloved supercars, you can pick them up for under 100K euros these days. But if I was in the market for a 20 year old supercar, I would still find the extra 200K euros and buy an F40.

·
Registered
332 Posts
...But Like You I Always Think It's A Bit Sad To See Driveable Cars "imprisoned In Museums" Instead Of Being Used As Their Intended Purpose Was...
...Yes it is sad seeing cars like a Boxer consigned to a museum...
Whilst I agree about cars not being used, at least cars in a museum can be seen. There are plenty of Ferraris in private hands that never get used and never get seen. In fact I was told about an Enzo that was bought from a dealer. After a year or so the owner sold it back to them. When they went to collect it the car had not been moved since he'd owned it!

In any case, I wouldn't necessarily assume that cars in a museum don't get used. Certainly in some cases cars are loaned for a period. That's certainly the case with most of the cars in the Galleria in Maranello, for example.

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In any case, I wouldn't necessarily assume that cars in a museum don't get used. Certainly in some cases cars are loaned for a period. That's certainly the case with most of the cars in the Galleria in Maranello, for example.

Jonathan
That's good to know, seeing them on display is one thing, but seeing them on the open road or track and hearing the engine is what we want.

I assumed that the supercars were on loan as the Enzo and F40 both had valid road fund licences on the screen. It's a shame that some parents couldn't control their offspring and stop them from climbing over the displays and smearing their sticky fingers over the paintwork and windows.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The XJ220 does look beautiful, they are unloved supercars, you can pick them up for under 100K euros these days. But if I was in the market for a 20 year old supercar, I would still find the extra 200K euros and buy an F40.
100k euro? who's selling at that price? I might be interested..
Unfortunaly the F40 does not fit for me (1.92 cm) and trust me, I really tried.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Great pictures. The cars look amazing :D

Chris

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
100k euro? who's selling at that price? I might be interested..
Unfortunaly the F40 does not fit for me (1.92 cm) and trust me, I really tried.
1 point 92 cm. That's 3/4 inch. I would think that would give you plenty of room.

I seem to remember seeing a couple of XJ220's for sale in England but they were more in the 120k GBP/150k Euro range. Even on a 20 year old car, the BPM tax in Holland would be pretty hefty as well (what was the list price? You'd still need to pay 10% of that...), and you might have to jump through a few hoops to get it registered. Servicing would be even more difficult, I should think. So my personal opinion is that it's not really a viable option if you bring it to Holland. But if you did, you'd be Da Man! :)

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts