Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my plates and unfortunately IL requires front and back plates (I have been ticketed before for this). Anyone have a suggestion on how to mount a front plate on a 360 without damaging the bumper? Thanks, Louis.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just got my plates and unfortunately IL requires front and back plates (I have been ticketed before for this). Anyone have a suggestion on how to mount a front plate on a 360 without damaging the bumper? Thanks, Louis.
Yes,

Use velcro and you can get them for free from the tollway booth at any tollway.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I have them now for the 355, 360, 430, 456, and Maserati's.

Other models will follow.

They do work.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I have them now for the 355, 360, 430, 456, and Maserati's.

Other models will follow.

They do work.

what about us lowly Mondial T's? are we still the ugly step child of the 348's?, BTW, where's your 348 entry.

BTWW: I didn't realize the bolts were that much different on each model...will have to compare the 456 to the T.

rik [helping Greg sell sell sell one item at a time]

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Tell me more about the Mondial tow hook.

If you ahve the tow hook can you determine the thread and the pitch of the thread? Where does the tow hook go (photo)?

There are three different tow hook threads on Ferrari! It's like the nightmare with the carpet grommets on 355's!

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Tell me more about the Mondial tow hook.

If you ahve the tow hook can you determine the thread and the pitch of the thread? Where does the tow hook go (photo)?

There are three different tow hook threads on Ferrari! It's like the nightmare with the carpet grommets on 355's!

Sure, can do all that. Matter of fact, probably when I can scrape up some more $$$ it definetly will be carted to Brian's for steering and possible new belts etc....but thinking of stretching the belt issue for another year..has 3 years on it, should be somewhat good to go...[ FAMOUS LAST WORDS..knock on wood burning incense ]

Can do the pitch etc.
Hook fits like most euro items, right front low quad. like the 456.

Do you need the 456 too?

Just thinking, wouldn't that part number be easier statement on which part you can duplicate easy: Ricambi might have the part numbe and corresponding similar models it fits...

eurospares has such too, and I'm looking there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just to give my opinion regarding the 355. I used to use the standard hard front plate. Then after studying the shape of the 355s front bumper. It can be clearly seen that the standard hard plate spoils the airflow into the front airdam.
For the last two years i have used the stick on type, so the number plate becomes part of and follows WITH the contours of the bumper/airdam. Clearly the front bumper was designed to do a job, and the standard hard plastic type number plate spoils the active design. I mean look how square and restrictive the standard units are, they dont channel the air like the cars bumper was designed to do. Well it makes sense to me:thumbsup:
Remember the cars front dam and underside ground FX was NOT designed with a big un aerodynamic rectangle hard number plate in mind;) The plate was attached afterwards with no thought of function.
The LAST picture shows the car when it had the standard hard plate. you will be able to see what i am talking about compared to the other two pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Chaz

US plates are smaller than European, and my holder is designed for temp useage but can remain on.

Also the way my holder is designed you can move the plate away from the radiator air flow so it does not interfere.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gaclo's plate Holder rocks!

Chaz

US plates are smaller than European, and my holder is designed for temp useage but can remain on.

Also the way my holder is designed you can move the plate away from the radiator air flow so it does not interfere.
Because I was a cop magnet BEFORE the 360, I decided to not take any chances and install the plate. Not only was it easy to install, my friends think it is some kind of fancy Ferrari designed plate holder. Louis.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removable front license plate bracket

Here is a custom made slip-on removable all stainless steel front license plate bracket, TIG welded, that between the two versions I currently have developed, fits all 308, 328, Mondial, GT-4, 456, 550, 575, 599 and 612 Ferrari blade type grills that I have tried it on. It's perfect for shows where you drive to the event lawfully and remove it for showing or you just do not like the idea of drilling into the body. No drilling, tools or special modifications are necessary. The inner felt liner protects the grill from scratching. A spring loaded hook rotates to easily secure the bracket in place. The 5/16" dia. bolt hole centers are at approx. 7" apart and should fit all U.S. license plates. Euro plates may also fit or made to fit with an adapter. I have not tried it on other Ferrari models but suspect it would fit most of those with metal blade grills too like the 512, 400, and maybe even vintage pre-'70s Ferraris. PM or email me with your grill's "blade" dimensions and I'll confirm fit. You can see some more photos and get more details at Birdman’s site – http://www.birdmanferrari.com/bracket/license_bracket.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Problem with the Motorized License plate flipper is if being stopped for that, you'll receive two tickets most likely.

The only good thing about it would be not having to go through the drill of attaching and detaching, like say when I would like to go to San Francisco, where tickets are handed out so regularly, that we NEVER take the Ferraris to the city anymore. They'll even stop us for the Tubi etc. just to balance their budget.

Too bad, as now the local crowd/tourists will not see exotics again, as most everyone avoids the city. Used to get tons of cheers, pics etc. when driving, say, Fisherman's Wharf, and got GREAT parking say for the grottos there, but we don't even bother anymore....and I would probably never go there again with them....they set a chain of events where I don't trust them even if they say they will not ticket.

Take our business elsewhere.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nice work Chairpilot!

I can't believe you guy's need front plates still.. What good is it for but marring that fantastic nose on our Fcars.

Does anyone know the size of bolts needed for the 348. I tried 2 sets of the dealer ones and they wouldn't work..Then bought some on ebay and they didnt work..

So I ended up using a wafer screw 7/8 long works great but doesn't show well. Wafer screw is mainly used to fasten steel studs to steel track.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
BUMP : Mondial T front Plate bolt

Greg: I've located I believe another front toe bolt for the Mondial T. Can't be far off the 348 either, or issss it Bruawwahhhaaaaaaahaa leave it to Ferrari to mfgr a diff. bolt for same issue.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I would not think so. they are all 16 mm. it's the thread pitch that's different.

Find out what the pitch is and I think I can help.

I would bet Mondial is same as 348.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts