Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I actually like the look, but it definitely doesn't scream Ferrari.

Chris

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
These are much better images than the previous ones, I think it looks better in blue rather than red too.

There is slight resemblance to the 599, but it looks more like a cross between an Aston's front end, a MB SL's roof and a TVR's rear end.

I quite like it now

·
Registered
439 Posts
I find the creases and detailing along the sides fussy and overstyled - a bit in the same vein as the creases on the flanks of the BMW Z4

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I find the creases and detailing along the sides fussy and overstyled - a bit in the same vein as the creases on the flanks of the BMW Z4
That's was I was thinking

I agree that the blue or these set of pics look a lot better but Chris is right does not scream Ferrari.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm just enjoying it for what it is. It is a Ferrari and it has taken a step in a little bit of a new direction.

The front looks like it was clearly carried over from the 599, but tweaked. And the rest is very elegant as the curve flows from front to rear. I like the beefy wide rear and blue color. And the roof is fantastic. A hardtop convertible, best of both worlds.

I'd have one of these in a New York minute.

·
Registered
453 Posts
to add, people complained about the 550 and 575 Ferraris, saying they didn't "scream Ferrari" either. Whereas they are understated, this California is accentuating the curvature of the body and now people say that isn't Ferrari-like either.

Prior to the 512TR, the side strakes were not characteristic of Ferrari. So that car isn't representative of Ferrari, too.

The Enzo also shares little with other Ferraris, as it's breakout design is very unique unto itself. So it doesn't say Ferrari.

So many Ferraris aren't Ferraris.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
These are much better images than the previous ones, I think it looks better in blue rather than red too.

There is slight resemblance to the 599, but it looks more like a cross between an Aston's front end, a MB SL's roof and a TVR's rear end.

I quite like it now
Archie, I totally agree on your view. It's interesting for myself to realize the the shape is growing already to myself after the rather "Toyota" like initial front picture 2 weeks ago. But as other's already mentioned, this was the fact with many previous models and new shapes in the past. The car looks decent from the side in that iceblue.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Its like a C8 and a Granturismo had crazy drunken lovin together and this was the illegitimate offspring

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It doesn't look too bad...but again, it isn't one of those designs I could see off in the distance and say, "look, it's a Ferrari." Hopefully however, I'll be able to say "Listen, it's a Ferrari!"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wait, a Ferrari that doesn't look good in red?? ;) I think it looks great in red, but the blue is great as well. Thanks Andrew for posting these new photos - I hadn't seen them yet.

The car looks good to me and represents a big new direction for Ferrari. I personally prefer a light weight, raw racer (like the CS or 430 Scuderia), but I think this car will be a big seller.

One gripe is the top up looks a bit like a M-B SL. I guess with a folding hard top, designers can only contour and style it a certain amount. It looks fine, just similar to other folding hard tops we've seen...and I expect more from Pininfarina.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am still fascinated that this is Ferrari's first front mid-engine car. Reminds me of the bad boy RX-7 that had a 50/50 weight distribution to front/rear because of this same setup.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am still fascinated that this is Ferrari's first front mid-engine car. Reminds me of the bad boy RX-7 that had a 50/50 weight distribution to front/rear because of this same setup.
Front mid-engine, so does that mean the engine is situated in front of the driver but behind the front axle?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dmitri, indeed. Front-mid simply means what you said - up front but pushed back behind the front axle. Lots of front engine cars are going that direction these days for better weight distribution and vechile dynamics.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Dmitri, indeed. Front-mid simply means what you said - up front but pushed back behind the front axle. Lots of front engine cars are going that direction these days for better weight distribution and vechile dynamics.
Ah okay, thanks.

I would imagine it would help weight distribution incredibly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree a bit to busy for my taste and the stacked exhaust really doesn't do it for me, but then again I thought the F50 wasn't that great looking until I saw it in person and it stole my heart. The New Corvette ZR1 was my ultimate dream car, now it is an F50 but just for the nice winter days here in the southwest U.S.

Anyways I suspect this car will be much more striking in person.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts