Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was able to go to the Historics. Wow, what a day. So it began, arriving at Laguna Seca. Headed to the paddock and went to go see the F1 cars in the garages. Firstly saw a sizeable crowd around the fence in front of the GA. So I decided to move down the paddock and Ended up down towards the end of the F1's. I saw the wife of the owner of the F1 87/88 whom I met the day before at Concorso. So she came over and said hi and asked me if I wanted to come in to the garage. How could I turn an offer like that down? So I was able to go behind the fences and into the garage. Snapped a few pictures of the car then she brought me down to the first garage...the GA. I was impressed, the engine cover was off, snapped a couple of pictures, then she brought me to the front of the car. Now this made my year as it was. I left the garage area and walked through the paddock with my dad. Saw most of the GTOs and everything else that was there. Enjoyed the racing through the day and walked through the car park. After that headed back towards the paddock for the race group 7A with all of the GTOs. Got a sort of poor vantage point, so snapped a few pictures but decided, that's enough and headed towards the paddock.

The garage doors were closed on the F1 cars, as most were out front in the pitlane. So I looked down the paddock and long behold, a trailer with something red and black in it...I began to run...I saw it, it was a F50 GT1 sitting there in the back of a trailer. It looked like it was just going to get rolled out. Wow, that was a suprise and definitely made this one of the best days of my life thus far. I was shocked that nobody else was standing around until a while after I got there and they were beginning to roll the car out. So they began to do just that, the car was getting rolled out, via wench hooked to the towhook in the front, lowering the car in a controlled manner. Wow, it really just got more and more impressive as the car came out further and further. Then I realized how good looking the car really is, as now it was completely out of the trailer. Wow, just amazing seeing this car in person for the first time. Snap snap snap...more people gathered. It was rather amazing how many people didn't know what this car was or anything about it. It was funny, a few people even began asking me if I knew what the car was and if I could tell them about it. So I began to look at some of the finer details of the car. Noticed taht Schumacher signed the dash in a silver marker this year on what would be the passenger side. Then the GA was being rolled down the pitlane with a sizeable entourage like a rock star. Got up close to the GA again, but this time with the engine cover on. So another close encounter with that. Then back to the GT1 I went. It still wasn't sinking in, but it really looked amazing in person. Then they rolled it into a garage stall and put the GA into the trailer. What an end to an alerady great day.

If you want to see more pictures, ask me. I don't want andrew getting mad at me for posting too many pictures. :p

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
How did I miss this car?! :cry:

Justin,

I had no idea you were going, we could have met up. Also I have a really awesome video coming of some of the things there. It will be cool.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hope all Monterey visitors had a great time. Hopefully they can provide the rest with great pics. Keep them coming! :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I saw the F50 run today at FCA open track at Laguna. It sounded awesome. Bunch of enzos, 360s, 355s and a 360GT in group two.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4i2fly said:
I saw the F50 run today at FCA open track at Laguna. It sounded awesome. Bunch of enzos, 360s, 355s and a 360GT in group two.

Ahhh....man, you are one lucky guy. Just an awesome machine! I'm sure the FCA event is really something.

Yeah, Andrew, I should've PM'ed you to tell you that I was going but it canda came as a last minute thing. Eventually we'll meet. :p A little difficult for me to get to the luncheons because I can't drie myself yet. Maybe come next year. :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hooked up with DJ at the FCA Concourse today and said the car was totalled and he is looking to buy a new one when the F2002 becomes available. DJ said he had a brace on his leg otherwise he was all o.k. He had the one off 275GTB C6 at the concourse today and they fired it up, boy did that car sound wild... It was a great event with lots of beautiful cars. Three of six of the 342s were there. Two of only spiders and one of the four coupes among other one offs that I had never seen before. What a fantastic show of cars...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dr. Bob said:
about that f1 crash: how is it possible to break the car in 2 pieces like that?
the same discussion we had over here at my office. But this monocoque is probably made from two peices. The fracture is at the connecting part we think...

...they used to have the connection there to be able to remove the driver after a crash.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From the pictures I've seen across other forums of the crash, it seems that some sort of adhesive held the 2 parts together and that's where the car broke. Maybe the adhesive just couldn't hold up to an impact after 5 years...that's scary though.

Wow, sounds cool, 4i2fly! The whole FCA event must be quite something.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
****. The F50 GT1 crashed again. I think 4i2fly should be able to expand on it, but from what I heard it was an outlap and the driver just got on the accelerator too much after shifting into 3rd gear and the tyres weren't up to temp and it just went into the wall.

Kinda sad. The car just came back from the Corse Clienti dept. at Ferrari after the serious repair to the front after the incident at Sears Point in 2003. Good thing is the owner has been getting it out unlike the other 2 cars. Well, looks like the car's headed back to the factory again for some new bodywork.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Dr. Bob said:
about that f1 crash: how is it possible to break the car in 2 pieces like that?
we where wondering that ourselfs
anyway, Frits did drove in the 250 GTO race 4 hours later, but the next day at Pebble he was wearing a brace around his knee and walking with cruches

oh Matt
it was great meeting you at Concorso an hooking back up at the FCA Concours, next time we will defenitly have to meet OUTSIDE a ferrari event :wink:

Rosso
yes the F50 GT did crash again on wensday morning during the warmup lap, right coming up onto the main straigh, i was waiting for him in turn 1 :evil:
i talked to Art afterwarts, he is OK, and the car doesnt have any major damage, should be fixed in about a month

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah, Dirk...yeah, that's too bad.

Hmm, So maybe Kroymans wasn't exactly okay after that accident. Can understand that after having that front section sheared away around your legs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts