Ferrari Life Forum banner

Mondial Review

14K views 42 replies 6 participants last post by  Alex365 
#1 ·
Came across this review of an oldie but goodie. Haven't seen too many of these in the northeast but remember the Mondial t fondly from the Pacino film Scent of a Woman.

See less See more
#6 ·
You obviously forgot Ted Kennedy's slogan when he ran for president.

Frequently when campaign aides presented him with problems his statement was "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!!!

Oh, and BTW, you might be surprised to discover that you live in the same seismic zone as we do. It's just that the frequency of quakes is not equal to ours.

So don't think CT can't become an island!!

You'll then need one of Kennedy's bridges.

#7 ·
That car was a Valeo = keeper. Saw it in the FofSF showroom and it sold about 1-2 years ago for $70k+ to a collector.

rik

#8 ·
I was born when it was morning again in America so I don't know anything about Senator Kennedy's presidential aspirations ;-) Or at least I'd like not to know anything about anything like that. And I'd say that CT becoming an island before CA would be a conceptual bridge too far.

Granucci, I have to do more research on this Valeo business...

#10 ·
I was born when it was morning again in America so I don't know anything about Senator Kennedy's presidential aspirations ;-) Or at least I'd like not to know anything about anything like that. And I'd say that CT becoming an island before CA would be a conceptual bridge too far.

Granucci, I have to do more research on this Valeo business...

um?? I tooootaaally don't follow the first paragraph, but on the sencond. the valeo was Ferrari's first shot at a 'F1' transmission on a road car. There were only a few dozen examples of which one Valeo was put in a F40 for a Ferrari customer.

Valeo looks identical to the Mondial T's gated shifter. But is missing a clutch peddal. When the user touches the shifter, the clutch disengages and you can make a shift where it reengages as you reach the new gear: having driven many t-tronics, one can see a similarity, but this Valeo was touted much quicker.

From persons I know to have them they are GREAT. They have so far been proved very reliable. First used by a French race team then Ferrari adapted them to the T, never to be used again.

Google Valeo or Mondial T valeo on ebay, one is currently going for $70K

#9 ·
I had a large industrial building in Avon, Mass, next to Brockton while having one here in CA.

So I decided to insure the Avon building for everything including earthquake til I found out the cost being the same as CA.

Don't think it can't happen there!

The Valeo was a form of auto tranny that was a nightmare. It's worse than the F1!

#12 ·
I had a large industrial building in Avon, Mass, next to Brockton while having one here in CA.

So I decided to insure the Avon building for everything including earthquake til I found out the cost being the same as CA.

Don't think it can't happen there!

The Valeo was a form of auto tranny that was a nightmare. It's worse than the F1!

Would like to see any facts relating to that as all evaluators say differently.

rik

#16 ·
It would be great if someone was able to do this as it would make me comfortable to purchase a 456 with the auto tranny.

I communicated with Fat Billy Bob about this as well some time ago, and he said he'd take a stab at it. Two of the guys in Texas said the same. The problem is as I see it is that a "stab" is not the same as one experienced to do it as a regular business.

I am a tinkerer but never tinkered with an auto tranny. I'd give a 6 speed a go though. I'd like to change my 6th gear to somewhat of an overdrive gear to drop the RPM's at 70 mph from about 3,100 to 2,200 or less.

#17 · (Edited)

Attachments

#36 ·
Bump : Anniversary :d

Doesn't Birdman in New England make them for the Mondials? I know he does for the 308's and 328's but I thought he did Mondial boxes as well!

It's just good etiquette to remember every year passing as this THREAD !!!

geesch.

TO answer on Birdman's fuse box, Dave Helms mentioned he has a solution to the T's and 348 fuse box. AND Since he is a sponsor here, we should help that out. Ricambi of course has EOM and valid .... AND a sponsor.

Now, what else has happened over the last year since this thread.
1. Mondial's have stayed steady in value: Good
2. Parts have gotten better for replacement: Good
3. Noticed a doubling on Ebay of Mondials in general which means more a. interest, or [more likely] b. parts available since some or not being kept well or parted: GOOD.
4. Waiting for the Matel release of a 1:18 Mondial T someday. Have three smaller versions but not enough detail or things that move on them.
5. I am still working on a paper, cutout version for publish free on the web: Origami Mondial T.

What am I missing Mondial owners? pipe in.

#19 ·
Don't know what to say to that. as it is a still a good consideration. Actually, without a properly trained mech stateside, or the ready parts, one needs to wait months for even a Mondial T fuse block, which is way more documented as failing and needing replacing IF one can be found. Usually in the $1K+ range just for the part.

crazy, it's just a fuse block that can be easily re-mfgr.

rik

#21 ·
They have been working on a proto for the T, but there are three variations. Dave/Ricambi who has a T cabriolet, gave him IIRC a toatsted box or someone did, and they are remfgr/trying to, make a replacement with full plates etc.

one thread showed someone who took his entirely apart, reoldered it all and good to go....

Should ask where that new box went.

rik

#23 ·
Not sure if any of you remember this movie (Weird Science) starring the delectable Kelly LeBrock, anyhoo watched last night and I totally forgot about the scene with the Mondial racing and drifting around corners, it was fun to watch.

Tried to find it on you tube but no dice.

#31 ·
always :D

The major ones that come to mind on a regular basis are:

1. Fluid changes, which I am in the camp of doing MINIMUM, every year, but many only do the Oil and trans.

2. Battery tender: Ask any modern Ferrari owner, regardless of model.

3. Belts/Timing: I'm in the camp of every 3 years, OR 30,000 miles whichever comes first which typically means 3 YEARS.

4. Leather care, after every 'sweaty' drive. Must get the salts off and dust.

5. Paint washing/waxing, or similar care: I recommend Turtle Wax ICE for the usual, then a BIG deal job once a year.

6. Paint chips: Optional, whenever

7. Carpet care: Since it's wool, the care is easy IMO

8. Screen from the direct Sun: I am, some day, finishing a tonneau cover, but always cover the car in the Sun.

9. CHECK the oil/fluids regularly, but don't fret: LEARN how to do it correctly.

10. Tire pressure and wear.

11. Drive car at least, if can, once a weak WHEN you have properly warmed it up, then taken to a nice speed, then cooled down and put away nicely.

Lastly: clean the bugs off your front..... :D

rik

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.