Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering buying a mondial QV and would like some advice on the following please; The car is in very good condition with no rust all all and has been well waxoyled,it has a creme leather interior with the usual cracks appearing.It has done 43,000, the guy whos selling the car said it had a FSH but it does not,should I be put off by this? Now the faults,non working a/c, fairly bad oil leak,and the oil pressure only seemed to go just over half way on the gauge at full throttle.I am a bit put of at the guys asking price which is £15,000 with the sketchy history.but the body/chassis are superb,what is the car worth?Any advice will be greatly recieved.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
473 Posts
Paul

All depends on how much money you are prepared to spend to put right the things you know are wrong + any additional things that you may find. Ferrari repairs and spare parts are expensive by definition, so you should shop around to price up how much its going to cost you to fix the car up.

I would also recommend getting an independant Ferrari certified mechanic to do a technical inspection on the car to validate the overall condition of the car and any hidden problems. It will cost you to do this but it may save you a lot should you purchase.

As for the absence of a FSH. I'm not sure if its considered critical to have a FSH with a QV - It's certainly preferable, but may be an unreasonable expectation, hopefully others can comment....

Good luck

Dermot :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys, The sellers not so keen on dropping below £15,000 which puts me of somewhat.I think the thing to do is to get the buyers report and then start talking to him about a price.
Cheers
Paul

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
You didn't mention whether or not it's a convertible. If it is then 15,000GBP is probably what its worth. If it's a Coupe, you should probably be looking more around 10k. Get a PPI and then decide if the car is worth 15k to you.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Getting an on-line (or otherwise) market valuation is IMHO essential for cars like these. The valuation costs almost nothing but can save you 1000's as most owners ask too much. It is easier to knock the price down if you can show them a valuation certificate that shows them that their cars is too expensive / too many miles or both.
Good luck. Remember also that Ferraris also often take a long time to sell, so time is probably on your side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mondial is a coupe, and the more I look into it the guys asking price of £15,000 is way to much,as supposed FSH is not all there.The guy was trying to cover up the faults with saying the faults were the charactoristics of a Mondial! surely there not that bad are they chaps?
Paul

·
Registered
383 Posts
how many owners previously? I'm sure you can knock a bit off the asking price if there were more than 5 owners. Are you willing to buy the car if the owners was letting it go for 10k? I'm sure the repairs'll be pretty pricey as well...do you have any other ferraris in mind?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
adlinyusman said:
how many owners previously? I'm sure you can knock a bit off the asking price if there were more than 5 owners. Are you willing to buy the car if the owners was letting it go for 10k? I'm sure the repairs'll be pretty pricey as well...do you have any other ferraris in mind?
The guys pretty adamant that he wants 15k for the car so I am going to leave it,Its pretty much a Mondial I would like especially for the 4 seats,I recently saw a 3.4 for sale thats now sold I think this is maybe the best model to go for ?? I will say thou the Mondial QV was much slower than my Porsche 964. :wink:
Paul

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
4kids3fish said:
What's an FSH?
Full Service History

It means that all reapair and services done on the car is listed and endorsed by the dealer workshop or a workshop appointed by the dealer/impoter.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah i do agree that the Mondial is not 'super fast', but not many cars of that age could keep up with a car of that caliber. Besides there's no other way of owning a ferrari for that good a price!

·
Registered
749 Posts
paulc,
If the budget can stretch to it try finding a 3.2. Much cheaper than the 3.4 but better performance than QV and IMHO much better looks. (BTW I am doing the same!). The QVs and 8s tend to hang around for a long time as the 3.2 is more sought after, so don't rush for a QV - work the price down. :green:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I saw a mondial QV at GS auto recently, it was in pretty bad shape (front windscreen badly cracked, left signal light broken in different places and a paint job which looked as though it hadn't been washed in ages), yet i still wanted ONE! grr...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4kids3fish said:
paulc,
If the budget can stretch to it try finding a 3.2. Much cheaper than the 3.4 but better performance than QV and IMHO much better looks. (BTW I am doing the same!). The QVs and 8s tend to hang around for a long time as the 3.2 is more sought after, so don't rush for a QV - work the price down. :green:
Hi 4kids3fish, I agree after much looking into this that the 3.2 mondial is the better option,its just a case of hanging around to find the right car.
cheers
Paul

·
Registered
749 Posts
Mate I know exactly what you mean (about the waiting ...................................................
........................................... :ugh: )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have found another Mondial 3.0 QV for sale,The car is 1986 with a FFSH in black.Ive always liked black ferraris so I will go and look at this one.
How rare is a black Mondial,were many made?

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought an 84 Mondial a couple of year back. I walked into the deal with my eyes firmly closed. The car had hads a number of owners and the service history was sketchey, although quit alot of money had been spent on it over the years.
It also suffered from the problem of owners who cut corners, and there were some pretty poor repairs.
Lucky for me I am pretty hand and do most of my own work and the car seems in good overall order. Parts are expensive, I have not had to spend too much on it though.
I am very happy with the car and the pleasure is un measurable.
Off to France again this year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts