Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I was a kid, even though all my friends were nuts about the Testarossas and the GTBs, all I lusted after was the Ferrari Mondial Cabrio.

Especially the black one with tan interior. I loved it. I thought the coolest thing was the fact that it was a 4 seat convertible! A party in a car!

Now I am finally able to afford to BUY one. I'm all set. I've got wife set up with an Acura MDX, I sold my 95 ImpalaSS, took over the old Honda CRV...which I plan to have as a backup and really bad weather car.

Now all I have to do is find a good one. BUT here's the thing. While I plan to use this forum (HI GUYS!) to get the info on making an informed purchase... CAN I DO THIS?

I am, of course, worried about upkeep on a car like this. It is an old car and I am familiar with old cars, having owned several AMERICAN cars from a 1950 Dodge to a 69 RR convertible...so I know they have to be pampered.

Can someone who knows this Forum well please suggest a few search parameters for me? I wouldn't be surprised if this has already been addressed. Also does anyone know where to get really good info on the purchase of a Mondial? What to look for, problem areas, things like that?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi Manny,

I, too, am in the market for a Mondial, not a Cab' but a Coupe. I purchased my 308 GTB from Peter Sweeney of Forza (www.forza.weblobby.com). He is a true gentleman versed in Ferrari. Also, he encourages mechanical escrows of all his cars. Convenient enough, Bill Pollard of Sport Auto is just a drive away. Bill performed a check for me and I was glad he did. My 308 has been a gem. Not a single problem; not one. Bill also performed the 30K. All in all, Peter conducts an honest business, treats you like you are his only customer and does not pressure. It would take a miracle for me to change him as a purchase point of contact; no kick-back in it for me. Keep us posted!

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Hello Manny
Welcome to the Forum
It so happens that 2 other members recently bought a Mondial.
You might want to ask some things at them
Good luck with your search and keep us posted

·
Registered
30 Posts
mondial

hi manny

i don't know if i'm too late. nevertheless, i bought a 89' mondial 3.4 t cab 3 years ago. it was from first hand, was driven only 15'000 km in 10 years. i made now about 45'000 km in the three years i have it. i can say it costed me a fortune (i've spent about 25'000 $ in these three years and i'm getting volume discount on repairs already) and i had no accidents. whatever you can imagine to break, that broke. many people are saying that the mondials are pieces of crap with very poor quality. others (like my dealer, of course) do not confirm that and as it looks like, i'm a really bad luck guy (as always ;-)).
i suppose that the mondial is very sensitive to irregular driving. look for a car that was moved enough, not a low miles one. if you want to drive it hard, be sure to have a professional (racing) gearbox oil, otherwise you'll get serious damage. always have enough spare fuses of all types with you. be very careful with the second gear, never use for the first 2000m when started cold.
be aware (especially on track and driving very fast) that the cabrio has a breaking distance which is about 3 times longer than the coupe.

however, ask around, i know from other mondial owners, that i maybe a monday morning italian style make ;-)

despite of all, it is f....... cool car (see http://www.ferrariforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=867 ) and a lot of fun to drive it.

have good luck, trevi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Sounds like Trevi has had a completely different experience than me. My Mondial T Cab has had very little in the way of problems (at least nothing that I would not expect in a 10+ old car).

If you are still looking, I would start by picking up the Forza Mondial Cabriolet buyer's guide (issue 19), the Original Ferrari V8 book by Keith Bluemel and the Ultimate Portfolio Ferrari 328, 348, Mondial all of which are usually on ebay.

I ma happy to go on, feel free to ask anything specific after you take a look at these backgrounders.

- JMG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts