Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the current Mondial/328/308 owners on this forum, how many purchased their car from a private seller? eBay? authorized Ferrari dealer? general exotic car dealer?

Also, how many had to travel (further than a 6 hour drive) to find and buy the car?

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Bought mine from an independant high-line auto dealer. Exectutive Auto Gallery in Pennsylvania. About a 10 hour drive from my house. Great "no-hassle" guys to deal with. I found them through Hemmings Motor News.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got mine from a private party. About 1hr from my house.

Kurt :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
328gts

I found mine 20 minutes from my place, private guy and adverted the car in autoscout.ch.

Private sales are about 8 to 15 % cheaper than dealers, and sometimes in a better technical shape.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Authorized dealer (328GTS). Got a 1-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, major belt service prior to sale,etc.. Was my first Ferrari so I wanted the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my 86 Mondial 3.2 coupe from a well know restoration shop in Southern California and drove it home to the San Francisco Bay Area. I paid full asking price for the car with the agreement that the seller would include the full 30K service in the purchase price. Since I didn't haggle on the price, he didn't skimp on the service. It worked out for both of us.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
ErikS said:
I bought my 86 Mondial 3.2 coupe from a well know restoration shop in Southern California and drove it home to the San Francisco Bay Area. I paid full asking price for the car with the agreement that the seller would include the full 30K service in the purchase price. Since I didn't haggle on the price, he didn't skimp on the service. It worked out for both of us.
Hi Erik,

Welcome to the site. If you have some new photos of your car I suggest entering our photo contest, a great way for us to all see your car and you get a chance at some cool stuff.

How long have you had your Mondial for? I'm curious, who works on your Ferrari? I'm also in the bay area and would like to know if there are some mechanics I don't know about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mondial in the bay area

I bought my 1984 Mondial in San Jose. I use Roselli's Foreign car repair. The son is named Robert, he knows ferrari's inside and out. I believe his father worked for Ferrari in Italy. I don't have the number off hand but the address is 390 Lincoln ave in San Jose.

I took my car to them and they got it into tip top shape. The car runs like a dream. I use it as a daily driver. There is nothing like the sound of a Ferrari. I know some people look down on this model, but a hand built Ferrai is great no matter what the style. I am going to trade up to a 456 or 550 in the next few years. Since I have seen these in the low 100K. In the mean time I am going to get a few more years out of the Mondial.

Even in this 20 year old car I get people pulling me over and asking for a ride around the block, since they have never seen this type of a Ferrari most people love the look of it. Mine is the coupe and I think it looks a little better then the convertible. :D

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
syberfilm,

Welcome to Ferrari Forum. If you have their number could you send it to me via a private message or post it here. I would be interested in contacting them regarding a 308. I am also in the Bay area.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my '77 308 GTB from a dealer in Reno Nevada. The dealer was a friend of my brother who has a repair shop there. I drove it home to the Oregon Coast. It was a trip of 500 miles and was the best drive of my life. I love driving my car. I'm not into tracking the car. I'm only interested in driving it close to the rules on the street. I'll open it up a little ocasionally, but mostly stay pretty close to the speed limit and try to be defensive. People drive funny sometimes.

Bob Wassam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mondial purchase

After looking for about a year, I finally found a blue/tan Cabrio in super shape in Ft. Lauderdale (originally a texas car) and had it shipped up to the Sacramento area. I use Salerno Motorsports in Rocklin for all my service (Ben Salerno's THE guy up here).

I chose the 3.2 version for its styling (fender flares mated with large side vents and silver, tear drop door handles). Updating the wheels with stock 348 wheels, I think, gives her an attractive balance of present day and classical looks. The 2+2 seating is more useful than I imagined.

The later Mondial t while also a beautiful and more powerful car, was just a little too understated for my taste. The 3.2 also has the reputation of being as bullet proof a daily driver as Ferrari has ever made.

Too bad the 355 spider isn't a 2+2...still thinking though...

·
Registered
1 Posts
After looking seriously for 2 years, I bought my 328 from an exotic car dealer. After doing the research on the car and getting it inspected, we reached an agreement and I had it shipped from Florida to Arizona on an enclosed truck. Good Luck -- it's exciting!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi, my first post though been registered for a little while.

I bought mine privately from a 737 captain!
Very pleased with it too

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum. Have a 1988 328 GTS (can you tell by my handle?) Got it new from a ferrari dealer in Rockland County, NY... gosh... that was almost 20 yrs ago!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bought mine (Mondial 3.2) from a business partner and friend. After it came off lease. (Paid cash).
If it did not come from someone I knew it would go into a shop that I knew and trusted "With My Life" for evaluation.. The Parts game on these cars can get pretty expensive all too quickly.. And if I could not drive it or hear it running then Seller, " WE GOT TO TALK"...

That's mine.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
RichardBarclay said:
Bought mine (Mondial 3.2) from a business partner and friend. After it came off lease. (Paid cash).
If it did not come from someone I knew it would go into a shop that I knew and trusted "With My Life" for evaluation.. The Parts game on these cars can get pretty expensive all too quickly.. And if I could not drive it or hear it running then Seller, " WE GOT TO TALK"...

That's mine.
Agree 100% with everything. If the seller won't let you hear it run then something is really up.

Glad to hear you had a smooth transaction for your Mondial.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I trusted my seller (Executive Auto Gallery), I'd communicated with him several times by email and talked with him on the phone, they have a good reputation and the the owner of the Gallery was very personable and answered all my questions straight away. I had a good feeling about this guy and the "chemistry" seemed to be there. I towed a trailer 10 hours to pick up the car. We'd already agreed on the price. The car seemed exactly as he'd presented it and I was prepared to load it up on the trailer. He would not take my check until I'd taken the car for a test drive. He wanted to make double sure I was completely satisfied before I left his lot.

Right then I knew he was selling a car he all the confidence in the world in. (Of course he knew I had a cashier's check in my pocket. :) )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts