Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My man is not on the poll but Monaco is such an easy place to pass, NOT.

Yipes.

:-?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
those were old cars dirk. New F1 cars cant drive close to eachother or they loose downforcs. But still, I did see some overtaking last few years. Who knows?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
wow
what's going on this race???

first Alonso crashes out HARD in the tunnel and ralf was involved AGAIN

and now Schumi is out in the tunnel behind safety car an JPM was a bit involved

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it just me or are the british commentators Anti Schumi, its like they never give the man credit, but rather find alternatives like the car,tyres or fuel for his brilliance :(

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Official statement from the team:

When Michael was in the hunt for the lead, he was hit by Montoya when the race was being run behind the safety car.

They do not blame it to a technical failure, so Schumacher was just plain stupid to step on his brakes that hard in the tunnel behind the safety car

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why did it have to be Montoya? The controversy and accusations won't end in a year. I think I heard that Montoya had walked over to the Ferrari pits to apologize. Does that sound likely? And why did Barrichello look so sad on the podium?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Barrichello had major handling problems after the last pitstop so he lost a lost of time, otherwise he could put up a fight, now he couldn't

Maybe Montoya did apologize, because even with those actions like Schumacher did you should keep anough distance. But then again, schumacher braked that hard that his front tires blocked. That is a little bit more than braking to get some heat in the tires.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
actually only 1 tyre locked, and it's an incredably strange place to warm-up your brakes, and what was JPM thinking of trying to pass him on the right side??? if he had passed him he would have gotten a black flag, and not to mention that he was a lap behind

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of the commentators on the Speed Channel offered the opinion that Schumaker's left front tire locked up a little because of something caught under the tire. Apparently that tunnel is quite littered with debris from tires shedding, etc. But it's clear Schumaker nailed the brakes fairly hard, so the resulting debacle really WAS a lot Montoya's fault for following too closely- Schumaker had no reason to try to block him because any pass at that point would have been disallowed, being behind the safety car as they were, under yellow. To heat the tires under braking would require a significantly rigorous application right up to the edge of locking, which would also heat the brakes which like the tires need to be hot to work as they should, especially important at Monaco. Maybe Michael should have looked in his mirrors before he nailed the brakes to keep things hot at safety car speeds.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah, I definitely ahve to say that was one of the oddest accidents I've seen in a while. It left me terribly distraught though after then accident and I couldn't really, happily watch the rest of the race. But anyways...it was an interesting race to say the least. I guess an improved show for some people out there. Congratulations to Renault and Trulli on the win, although I would've liked to have seen one of our guys on the top step of the stairs. Ah, what can you do. No more chance of a perfect season now, but hey, I guess a hiccup in the plan had to come along simetime. Better to get it out now rather than later? Maybe, maybe not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Of course there's great satisfaction in being so very much better than any other competitor that no one else wins. But that can get boring and reduce interest, and spectator interest seems to me to be mandatory in Formula One where the costs (and resulting need to make money from advertising) are so astronomical.

There's also great satisfaction in winning when the contest is hard fought because the competitors are closely matched. Winning close races and losing a few so that the outcome isn't certain too soon breeds excitement and maybe a deeper satisfaction. My personal sense of it is that I'd get a lot more excited if there was a greater chance Ferrari might not win. I don't mean the sort of events that happened at Monaco (crashing out of the race), I mean a nose-to-tail driver's war that goes down to the final lap, the final turn. NASCAR has this happen, but it's a sham because NASCAR's rules are individualized to each "brand" of car. This purposeful closeness in performance is "legislated", leaving driver skills the determining factor (after good luck) which cuts in half the real competition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts