Ferrari Life Forum banner

Missed a Shift

3K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Andrew 
#1 ·
Driving my brother-in-law from Australia back from dinner in Newport Beach, I missed a shift. After getting off the Newport Freeway at 17th Street, I made a good top end shift from 1st to 2nd. Second to third was great. Opps. I went from 3rd to no where. Rats. He just laughs. I was trying to show him how great I was in my toy. Crap. Missing a shift is bad enough when no one is in the car but me. Nuts. My brother-in-law was with me.

Darn. All he is doing is telling me about missing that gear. Darn. He is going back to Melbourne Tuesday and will tell all about this. Super Rats. On March 7, 2004 at the Australian Grand Prix, I will be hearing about this. Yipes!

:nuts:

:evil:

:cry:

:green:

#27 ·
4kids3fish,
I will be down under for the GP on March 7 again. I have only been to Melbourne and never driven there. My sister-in-law drove me around the area. It was amazing to me how slow she drove on the freeways. She told be the police are very good at stopping people for going just a little over the speed limit.
In the countryside, there were a couple of times when she would only go 40 kph because some sigh said so. No one was around and I had a cow. Your cops terrified her. Yipes!

By the way, I guess only Americans have ever missed a shift. I wish I was a European so I would know how to drive and go fast. I only put on between 25,000 to 40,000 miles a year on Southern California freeways. Hopefully I can learn to drive in another 5 years and go over there and drive. I do drive Thunder Road 8 or 10 times a year.

:ugh:

:nuts:

:green:

#28 ·
Bart said:
I wish I was a European so I would know how to drive and go fast. I only put on between 25,000 to 40,000 miles a year on Southern California freeways. Hopefully I can learn to drive in another 5 years and go over there and drive.
So far so good! Have you tried many corners yet? Better not attempt them in one of your "local" cars - strictly Euro models only, I'm afraid! :lol:

#29 ·
I know what you mean about the Aussie cops, the locals have warned me repeatedly whenever I've been there, but to be fair, the last time I drove to Melbourne from Sydney, down the Hume highway, they were everywhere. 550 miles has never felt such a long way!!

Corners? I didn't think US or Aussie cars needed steering wheels?

Bart - have you been to Phillip Island before? I went last October to watch the Motorcycle GP - excellent place, but my advice would be to pack something windproof!! Also - even though the locals will scoff - you've got to go and see the penguins - they're so cute!!! :D

Seriously for a second - what's Thunder Road? Forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea.

#32 ·
Thunder Road is I-15 from Southern California to Las Vegas. It is a little less than 300 miles. The road is all freeway going thru just a couple of small bergs (Barstow & Baker). It has some very long (15 – 20 miles) straights and some hills. Some may call the hills mountains. The speed limit is 70 mph but if you going 70 you better be in the slow lane. The only curves are design for 70 mph+.
Generally, the CHP (California Highway Patrol) will only stop you if you are driving stupid i.e. going too fast for the traffic or changing lanes.
There are many sections where you can go the limit of your car. The best time to drive it is in the early morning, 4:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m.
A couple of months ago, I was going about 125 mph and a Cadillac passed me. :eek: Yipes!
If and when you are ever here you must take this drive.

:wink: 8)

#35 ·
Bart,

Is that the stretch of road that goes through Death Valley? At one time I planned a cross-country tip for East to West. My route was to St. Louis, Oaklahoma City, then south towards Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. Looking at the map I was going to go through Death Valley and up to Yosimite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.