Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested in participating this coming year or next in the Mille Miglia, and have questions about the entry process. Their official website has a lot of information, but it does not help prepare for the logistics. I also have additional questions regarding the qualifications for both the F.I.V.A. Identity Card, and which federation in the US that would issue a drivers license. If anyone in the US has participated in the past and willing to share some info with me, I would appreciate any assistance. I live in San Diego, California.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Hey Gardipet, i think first off all that you have to make sure that you can enter
check if your car is eligable, but i'm sure that you have already done that.

But i also believe that the MM has limited places, and that it is on invitation?
well you sign up, and then you get an invite or not i think

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dj Dirk, you are correct that there are a limited number of entries so you take your chances. What still has me concerned is the process of obtaining the F.I.V.A. certificate if the vehicle has not had this in the past. Also there does not appear to be helpful hints on the application process other than send your money and wait. I have 2 vehicles that would qualify by age and originality, but the certificate seems to be the most important first step.

Again I appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
A friend of mine has participated in the Mille Miglia a few years ago, i'll check with him and will let you know something

·
Registered
25 Posts
What I heard from people who participated or try to participate is, that there is a priority to participate:

1. Cars that entered te original race
2. cars of the same model as cars that participated in the original race
3. cars of the age of the original race

As there are close to 1000 applications per year and only about 390 are invited, it is practically limited to categorie 1 and 2. An additional limiting factor is if you want to enter a car that is already a few times on the participants list.
You could get a boost for your application if you have close relationsship to the main sponsors (Mercedes / BMW) or are traveling from far abroad (in Italian terms).
Nevertheless a good hint is to try it every year, send the the check with the application and don't loose hope.
-c

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
When was the first Mille Miglia then? Cos I know for a fact that there was a BMW Isetta entered once (who finished 211th) and I'm pretty sure that the race is older than that...

Would be very cool to participate if only just once...

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
it's possible Bas since a Isetta is from 1957 and the last real MM was driven in 1957.
that's the year that Taruffi won in a 315S, became world champion and retired
that's also the year that De Portago got cold in a 335S wich resulted in his & his co-drivers dead together with 11 spectators, and that crash was the reason why the italian goverment stopped the MM
the first race was in 1927

·
Registered
144 Posts
I admire so much Retro Rally like Mille Miglia. To be a part of this must be a huge satisfaction. Someday I'll be a part... Of course on a pld timer Ferrari....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts