Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been wondering if anyone knows what the Ferrari 355 headers are made out of, you know the metal......? Thanx to anyone who replies....

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Longitudinal 90° V8, light alloy cylinder block and head

http://www.ferrariforum.net/models/122

Amazing what info you can find on Ferrari Forum :wink: I worked my ass off for two years on that models section and others helped too.

I hope this helps. Light alloy would mean a mix of metals and I believe one of those is aluminum hence "light"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

THANX!!!!!!!!!! After about a week an a half without a response, someone chims in.......YES, you help, but of course still leaves unanserable questions....Thanx for your help....

·
Registered
749 Posts
Do you mean "headers" as in the exhaust manifolds/headers, or the cast cylinder heads? And what info do you need - just what basic metal it is, or what the alloy constituents and percentages are?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Bob,

4kids3fish touched on this. When I saw headers I assumed the exhaust manifolds/headers that are on the engine block and well, those are "ALUMINUM ALLOY" what % of what metals? Well good luck on that one. If ANYONE knows (and someone does, just not me) please post it so I can learn. If he meant the

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Here is that info:

The engine's aluminum block had Nikasil-coated wet steel liners. Peculiarly light forged aluminum alloy pistons drove the crankshaft through titanium alloy con rods previously seen only in Formula 1 engines. The engine's greatest innovation is its five-valves per cylinder, three intake and two exhaust, that combined high revs with high intake permeability maximizing gross efficiency. The aluminum head was ultra-high strength with variable rigidity dual valve springs. The radial intake valves made conical cam profiles necessary and the high rotation speed necessitated a high lift for both reliability and long-term performance. The control lobe for the central intake valve was slightly offset, reducing pulse stress and the emission of un-burned hydrocarbons. The valves were actuated by hydraulic tappets with automatic play take-up, a first for engines that rev over 8000rpm. In accordance with racing design, Ferrari engineers created an extremely compact high-swirl combustion chamber of 11:1 compression ratio. The engine was controlled by a Bosch Motronic M2.7 twin hot wire electronic injection-static ignition system, and lubricated by a dry sump engine oil circuit.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
e_jacob77 said:
Hi all,

I've been wondering if anyone knows what the Ferrari 355 headers are made out of, you know the metal......? Thanx to anyone who replies....
It's made of carbon steel. It rusts!! The whole header/exhaust system of the 355 is made of steel. The after-market systems made by Tubi etc are made of stainless steel. The aftermarket are exact fits and you can buy just the muffler and tail pipe or plus CAT or plus header. The most common change is the muffler and tail pipe + straight through pipe in place of the sports CAT - they're very expensive.

Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

THANX for all your replies!!!! Aside from "you know" there is nothing better to me than learing sumthin new....A great lead with the mention of that link to ferrari usa.....The game metal gear solid, well, metal and gear= what materials used to create, and solid would be a response ya know.....or metal, gear, and solid==type of materials used to create exhaust headers and system......THANX again guyz....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Stradale said:
It's made of carbon steel. It rusts!! The whole header/exhaust system of the 355 is made of steel.
Indeed, the quality of 355 headers is an abysmal owner experience. For reference, check out this thred on fchat.com: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17439
As the poll stands, 14 of 38 respondents had at least one failure, that's an amazing 37% ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts