Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know you have herd this all b4,,,but until you hear me out ,,, dont beat me down too bad,,:wall:,,,i have a 2002 z06,,,,and am ready to swith over to my dream car,,,either a lotus 2002-2004 esprit,,or a testerossa 1988-91,,,,now i know there are maintenece to all cars,,,,and i already looked into the lotus,,,and am sadly finding out how fragile they are,,,and how many problems they have had,,,:yikes:,,,,now im looking into the testerossa and am ready to see what problems they had,,,,,by what ive been told the ferrrari is a much better put together car than the lotus,,,,i think just seeing a testerossa on the street,,,everyone stops to look,,,its an awesome car,,,,,what are some of the problems the tessterossa had or has that i need to look out for when searching for the right car....again i just signed up today on this forum,,so i am ready for a ferrari beating now.....thanks for all the info.....i will have at 60g's to spend,,,will that be enough also ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
xrisman,

Firstly, welcome aboard. I too made a first post here, nervously, about a year ago, and have to say there is a wealth of knowledge here. I've always found support, constructive comments, and a general point in the right direction (or away from the wrong one).

I personally have not driven a Testarossa, but knew a group of guys in West London with Lotus Esprits, and one of the four was always in the garage. I have taken a Esprit Turbo V8 around Snetterton back in 2003 (along with a Ferrari 355, Dodge Viper and Porsche 911S).

That was the day I really feel in love with Ferrari - it could dance.

The Viper could power through brick walls, the Porsche drift around corners, and the Esprit would end up kicking you off in a corner as the turbo kicked in just when you didn't want it to.

I've heard the ZO6 performance is awesome (there are some less than complimentary comments around here - not so much about the car, but the way someone has tried to ram it down their throats) - so the desire for performance is not what you are lacking.

I can only assume therefore that you are trying to fulfill a childhood dream, and embrace the passion of your memories from earlier years. In which case I would strongly recommend reading what comments you get from the team here, go for a test drive (and not just a Testarossa - try other Ferrari's in your price range). But most of all......

Think of the Lotus Esprit as the most beautiful model you remeber from 20 years ago, picture her in your mind and be happy - because if you met her today, I can guarentee you she won't even come close!!!

A Ferrari will always bring a smile to you face, no matter how many years have passed - especially when its yours.

Good luck with the search - the journey is a very enjoyable part of what hopefully will lead to ownership, in "Enzo's Club".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xrisman,

Firstly, welcome aboard. I too made a first post here, nervously, about a year ago, and have to say there is a wealth of knowledge here. I've always found support, constructive comments, and a general point in the right direction (or away from the wrong one).

I personally have not driven a Testarossa, but knew a group of guys in West London with Lotus Esprits, and one of the four was always in the garage. I have taken a Esprit Turbo V8 around Snetterton back in 2003 (along with a Ferrari 355, Dodge Viper and Porsche 911S).

That was the day I really feel in love with Ferrari - it could dance.

The Viper could power through brick walls, the Porsche drift around corners, and the Esprit would end up kicking you off in a corner as the turbo kicked in just when you didn't want it to.

I've heard the ZO6 performance is awesome (there are some less than complimentary comments around here - not so much about the car, but the way someone has tried to ram it down their throats) - so the desire for performance is not what you are lacking.

I can only assume therefore that you are trying to fulfill a childhood dream, and embrace the passion of your memories from earlier years. In which case I would strongly recommend reading what comments you get from the team here, go for a test drive (and not just a Testarossa - try other Ferrari's in your price range). But most of all......

Think of the Lotus Esprit as the most beautiful model you remeber from 20 years ago, picture her in your mind and be happy - because if you met her today, I can guarentee you she won't even come close!!!

A Ferrari will always bring a smile to you face, no matter how many years have passed - especially when its yours.

Good luck with the search - the journey is a very enjoyable part of what hopefully will lead to ownership, in "Enzo's Club".
thanks for the nice words !:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The Lotus and TR are very different cars. The Lotus is much lighter and more nimble while the TR is a true GT designed to cruise at high speeds for hours on end. Of the 3 different TRs models, the 512TR seems to be best balance between being fully sorted while maintaining the core design. Suggest you download the Buyers Guide from http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php and then get in contact with carguy and Vulcan F-40. Both are long time TR owners and carguy knows the mechanics of the car inside and out. Another good resourse is slivergts1998.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im in the same boat! Except the tossup for me is an Esprit vs. a 308. Im doing a lot of research on both at the moment. Have you considered an S4 Esprit? As long as they're well maintained, they can even be a nice daily driver(as Im finding out like 308s as well, not sure yet about Testarossas). The Esprit S4's only had 70 less horsepower than the V8's, which can pretty eaisly be matched and/or surpassed, with much less reliability issues.

In my opinion though, I say if you have a chance at a nice Testarossa, by all means go for it! Everytime I see a Testarossa, I see it as a beautiful work of art, and then as a car. Esprits are nice, dont get me wrong, but Ferrari is the ultimate.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Im in the same boat! Except the tossup for me is an Esprit vs. a 308. Im doing a lot of research on both at the moment. Have you considered an S4 Esprit? As long as they're well maintained, they can even be a nice daily driver(as Im finding out like 308s as well, not sure yet about Testarossas).
I used my 308 GTB as a daily driver for several months. There are a couple of threads detailing the adventures:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6616

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6603

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
i know you have herd this all b4,,,but until you hear me out ,,, dont beat me down too bad,,:wall:,,,i have a 2002 z06,,,,and am ready to swith over to my dream car,,,either a lotus 2002-2004 esprit,,or a testerossa 1988-91,,,,now i know there are maintenece to all cars,,,,and i already looked into the lotus,,,and am sadly finding out how fragile they are,,,and how many problems they have had,,,:yikes:,,,,now im looking into the testerossa and am ready to see what problems they had,,,,,by what ive been told the ferrrari is a much better put together car than the lotus,,,,i think just seeing a testerossa on the street,,,everyone stops to look,,,its an awesome car,,,,,what are some of the problems the tessterossa had or has that i need to look out for when searching for the right car....again i just signed up today on this forum,,so i am ready for a ferrari beating now.....thanks for all the info.....i will have at 60g's to spend,,,will that be enough also ! :thumbsup:

My first exotic car was a 1988 Ferrari Testarossa back in 2003. I now own 20 plus exotic cars and the Testarossa is hands down one of my favorites and still own a 1988 Testarossa. You get sooooooooooo much car for the money. Go to www.modexotics.com. You will see my testarossa there, along with my other cars on video. I am having it serviced there as well as installing a Capristo exhaust system. I know Piero, the owner of ModExotics, just recently sold a completely serviced 1990 Ferrari Testarossa for $50K. As for the reliability, this is the first service the car is having done and the last documented service was over 15 years ago. Never ever had the car stall on me and it has always been dependable. I did have problems with the electronic seat belts but it was a recall defect from Ferrari.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts