Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 328 or maybe a Mondial is definitely in my future soon, within the next 6 months to a year. These questions, which I was invited to ask for which I'm entirely grateful, are these:

Can one take a substantial trip with a 328? Is there any luggage room? What sort of condition will I be in if I do a 500+ mile day in the car; I mean if I tried to make that sort of mileage in a Caterham 7 or even a Miata I'd have a headache and a hearing threshold shift of major proportions. Is a 328 as hard on long distance travellers as that? What's the car like on an interstate, droning along over expansion strips and rough concrete at 75 mph for hours? It probably wouldn't be as pleasant as my Camry, but would it be totally awful? I've had experience with full-out roadracing motorcycles that one can endure for about an hour before one's body rebels, and I've spent a 725 mile day on a sport-tourer, faster than was prudent and even more for the whole day, that ended with no muscle spasms or stiffness, and was repeatable the next day. Where does a 328 fit in that metaphor?

Thanks in advance for whatever insights any of you can give me.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The 328 has a luggage bay behind the engine. It's can carry your golf bag (I mean a big bag) and a soft gym bag. A suitcase would be out though. And there is space for another soft bag at the front boot. The 328 has more luggage space than a 348, 355 or a 360 (I've owned the 355 and the 360 as well).

I've done a non-stop trips of 350km in the 328 and I felt fresh on arrival. The car is great on the highway. The "heavy feel" steering is just ideal for long distance cruising. The 355 steering tend to be "over-servoed" and on the highway and at high speed it does not give a good feel. It feels too light. It's corrected with the 360. The 328 does not need the Ferrari computer to do reapirs as would the 355 onwards, so a competent mecahnic will be able to do emergency repairs if need be. So this is an important point to consider if you're travelling far out of home base.

It's a little gem of a car and it's Ferrari. My only complaint is you have to get used to the narrow space between the trottle and the brake pedal. Wear a pair of driving shoes and you'll be all right.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The GT in 328 GTB/S stands for Grand Touring. The car is made for it. In my 308 the faster I go the better it rides and drives. The low speed, heavy steering is gone and only requires a couple of fingers for minor adjustments. With the top off and the windows up my hair hardly gets mussed even at freeway speeds.

The only drawback is lack of luggage space and the car is rather cramped for me at 6'2". I can't even touch the gas pedal wearing street shoes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear eddy.
I recently purchased a 328GTS and can reaffirm what stradale and spasso have said. I dont think you will have any comfort issues. There is another factor to be put into the equation here. When you drive this car with such a rich history in motorsport/F1, and see the reactions from fellow motorists, thumbs up, huge grins etc. when you hear that delicious sound of the engine, combined with the handling this or any FERRARI provides you will become spellbound! Let us know what tou decide.

IM Tuco and Im a ferrariholic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone

Thanks Stradale.
ILL take some pictures of my new baby, 86 328GTS rosso corsa/tan and my 93 512TR nero/nero for everyone to see. Looks like a great site and Im looking forward to participating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts