Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Max,
I bought my car back in May and the only serious problem I have had is the low speed points set failed causing the car to backfire. I got advice from the guys on this website to merely disconnect the low speed points. I did this and the car runs fine now. Other things I have done - Cleaned the spark plugs, changed the oil, replaced the oil pressure sending unit, replaced the speedometer sending unit, and replaced the coolant expansion tank mounts. All the jobs were relatively easy and completed with common hand tools.

I really haven't had any major problems with the car (other than the backfiring but that turned out to be minor). Andrew is going to have the service manual and parts manual available for download on this website (if he hasn't already done so).

I have two minor rust "bubbles" on my car, one is on the driver's side down low in front of the rear tire; the other is on the passenger side all the way at the rear of the car, again, down low. I would pay particular attention to the bottoms of the doors. I have heard that this is a problem area.

I don't know any of the "hard data" on the engine. The timing belts are supposed to be changed every 30k miles. If the belt should fail when the engine is running, the pistons will strike any valves that are open. The timing belt and water pump had just been changed on my car before I got it and the receipt for the work (I have it somewhere) was like $450 (including parts). There are no lifters. The cam lobes act directly on the valves (overhead camshafts) There is an adjustment, the clearance needs to be checked and adjusted every 30k miles. Adjustment is made by shimming the springs. doesn't look like too bad of a job but it will require the manual, the shims and some special tools. When you look for a 308, the words "30k mile service recently performed" would be a good selling point.

Hope this helps you and feel free to ask anything. I'm sure the other guys here will chime in with their tips. There are a bunch of 308 owners here wth quite a knowledge base.

· Premium Member
5,509 Posts
4re308,
Same thing happens to me. People will ask me if it is new and are shocked when I tell them its a 23 year old car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.