Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
454 Posts
Maximilian,

Pete hit in right on the head as far I'm concerned. A fairly fresh 30K or major service is key. Be weary of very, very low mileage cars (sub-1K). I'll take a 60K 308 that's been maintained over a garage queen with less than 600 miles. It's all in how they've been maintained. Period. In my opinion, these carb'd 308's are tough and reliable if not totally neglected. A common question (one of mine as well) was how consistent is the carburetor synchronization. Very consistent once done.

I have a 1977 308GTB (you can see the little avatar to the left). I love it. I love the sound that the Weber's produce and the reactions I get when people discover there's four of them. 8) It really is a great, great little car. If you're looking for shear bhp for the money, look at a Pontiac Firebird with Ram Air Induction (most around 23K USD). However, if you're looking for a car that is great fun to drive, somewhat inexpensive, very addicting (that's a BIG "very") and is just spectacular to the human eye, my vote's a mid-to late 70's 308. Also, don't forget the GT4's as well. Same great engine (the first of the series) and even less expensive on average.

Above all, have the car(s) inspected by a mechanic. Period. I had an 81 GTSi and my 77 checked. It cost me $350USD. Best money this kid's ever spent. The Si didn't come back with the bill of health I wanted but the 77 did. Most mechanics will cut you a deal on multiple car checks.

Good luck and let us know how the search goes.

Forza,

Dane

· Registered
454 Posts
Maximilian,

Just remembered. Take a look at www.Ferrari308.com. Awesome site with another great founder; same as here. In the resources section of 308.com there's a Q and A sheet about buying 308's. I found it very, very helpful. It covers the questions you're asking and more such as maintenance and care.

Forza,

Dane

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.