Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in the market for a manual transmission 456 and am looking for advice. Boxer has helped me quite a bit, but I thought I should consult the rest of the experts.

I know about the issues with shocks, windows, and rear wings. Please let me know if you can offer any advice or have any experience with the car, good or bad. Also let me know if you can recommend a car that is on the market.

Finally, I have a very specific question. Is anyone familiar with the wheels in the picture that I hope is appearing with this post (this is my first post so I am prone to technical errors). They are 8-spoke BBS-looking things. Were they a factory option on the 456 in 1995? Please let me know.

Best to you all,
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
One question is "How long will the 456 sit not driven"? I say this because if she'll sit for about a month, then get a battery tender. It will save you a lot of agravation and you won't believe where it (the battery) is located. And once it gets too low... it has gone beyond the point of no return.

(A $700.00 factory unit is avalible and plugs into the already provided plug-in located in the engine compartment. I think they already knew this at the factory ..Yes???) and Thank you "Shelton" for mine.

Also the Three pc's rims have been known to leak at the screws. (I know... Believe me I know).. and you must send them back to the factory when they do. I can say we, (Myself and the others that tried) did try to fix it, but to no avail.

Other then that.. routine maintenence... >>> vital<<< ( I figure on socking away around $3,000 a year to help.)

Lastly read the manual..AND "leave it "IN" the car", you'll be glad you did.. Being we were talking of batteries..

A Littel Story....

The battery went too low so the key release did not work and you had to Play "FIND THE MANUAL RELEASE BUTTON" to remove the key from the ignition..so you could lock up the car..when you had to go on your all important errand... (Remember when I said the battery goes beyond the point of no return? Well after fixing the charge... and going out to a restaruant after hours... the point of no return returned!!).

"I AM SO GLAD" I READ THE MANUAL... AND THAT IT WAS IN THE CAR WHEN NEEDED!!! AND "NOT" BACK AT THE HOUSE ALONG WITH THE OTHER "VITAL PAPERS"!!!
I laugh now, but at the time it happened, we'll lets say it was at the wrong place and time in-deed..

Other then that... I've had no problems....

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I have never seen a factory wheel that looks like that. It is probably a knock-off BBS rim so I would not buy it as the quality of those wheels can often be poor.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That wheel was not an official factory option as far as I know.
And I heard a little something about the battery on a 412. The hoodrelease is electrical, so when the battery goes dead you need to change it, but you can't do that since you need to open the hood to change the battery, which you need to open the hood. It's a dead end ;)

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Enbanfe,

The wheel you have posted was sold by a company called SAC. This was their 3 piece wheel known as the RG5 forged modular. It is very good looking. Unfortunately, SAC is no longer in business.

I have the single forged 19" monolights on my 360 that I am selling with Yoko AVS sport tires. 4,400 miles total on the rims and tires for $2,000.00. One wheel has a 4"-5" scrape that needs repair and there is a minor nick on another. The wheels run true and do not wander or vibrate even to 120 mph!

I had to resize the attachment for it to fit here.

I can e-mail you the SAC file so that you can see it with greater detail if you prefer.

BTW, the 456 to which these wheels are attached looks like a very nice car. I would grab it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I did not realize that the battery was such an area of concern. I am a little hesitant about the wheels not being factory or a major brand, but I am even more hesitant about the history of the car they are on.

It has 22,000 miles and looks great, but it has not had the major service since 15,000 miles in June 2002. And, actually, I am not even sure it had that done because I have only seen some of the service history that was faxed to me.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the major service supposed to be every 15,000 miles or 3 years? In other words, the car needs the service today, not in a few years when it hits 30,000. The seller is asking $66,000, but I am thinking that it may need $6,000 in deferred maintenance.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I believe it foolish to dismiss the wheels as a concern. Those are very good quality wheels that can serve you well for a long time.

As far as the battery issue, Ferrari usually has mechanical pulss to get around this problem, and a discussion with a knowledgeable Ferrari mechanic in your area could confirm this.

If you are expecting a perfect car in that age group you will be in store for a surprise.

This loooks like a very nice car thta has been well cared for, and you could certainly negotiate with Excell what has not been done for what should be done.

It's a nice car, and I think it's a very good price. Quit agonizing and grab it!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gcalo,

Do you know this particular car? I posted only a picture of the wheel, but it sounds like you are familiar with the car.

In any event, I sort of like the wheels and they would not prevent me from buying the car. I am more concerned with the service history and lack of documentation.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I have been in the market for a nice 456. I do not know this car.

What I do know is the wheels as I have the one piece forged models on my 360. They are very good quality wheels as are the 18" multi's on the 456.

I would seriously consider buying this car right now if I had either more available warehouse space or more garage.

What I do know is that Excell is an outlet for cars they take in from their multiple dealerships that don't sell the particular brands.

I was stating that if the service history is not complete Excell may deal with you on the price of the car.

I think this is a very well conditioned car from its appearance. That light interior can be tough especially in the Florida sun, but it appears immaculate. I do not, unfortunately, know the service history.

If you are serious I would call and talk with them. I did that about a year ago for a 360 they had I was looking at, and they were quite accommodating.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As it turns out, I was looking at a model with the same wheels and also in Florida, but which was Verde Silverstone not Nero like the one at Excell.

The guy was anxious to sell and was willing to accept $59,000 for the car, but I was unable to send someone to see the car until late this week and couldn't get down there from New Jersey myself for at least 2 more weeks. He decided not to wait for me and traded it to a dealer for a Rolls Royce.

Oh well. I would rather have a car without so many needs anyway. Who knows what a PPI would have revealed on top of the deferred belt service.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Sometimes deferred maintenance is not so bad if it's agood car and you can get into right.

The 456 is a great car except for its known problems. So, if the windows have been fixed, you can get a major for less than that cost!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So last week I finally pulled the trigger and last night Road Scholars delivered my '95 456GT (Swaters Blue/Tan). This is my first Ferrari and I could not be more pleased. I attached a picture below.

So now the question is, when/where do people drive? To dinner? To Ferrari events? To the grocery store? I am already afraid to park anywhere. I would love to hear how people use their cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ferrari 456 and safetty

Well firstly congrats on your first Ferrari... A Ferrari 456.
great great great choice!
I myself love the 456 even more than the 575 or 612 Scaglietti.
Simple exterior, just how Ferrari's catch attention and great exhaust system and power.
Anyway, About safety, Although a ferrari for a ferrari buyer is a prized possession, who wouldn't be a Ferrari is one of the best and famous cars you can get today... I have seen alot of Ferrari's around mainly past models such as he 308 parked on the streets, In my opinion if people passing by do see it, the mainly gaze in adoration, unless they are idiots who steal or vandalzie. The majority of people around are good, so you probably would be unlucky to run into trouble like that.
To Ferrari events, that would be fine, you can look in Exotic car magazines such as Octane or Foza ferrari for Ferrari events, or even on the net search...
Once agin Congrats!
Hope you enjoy your new 456, keep it well and it will show its true potential!:drive:

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
enbanfe said:
So last week I finally pulled the trigger and last night Road Scholars delivered my '95 456GT (Swaters Blue/Tan). This is my first Ferrari and I could not be more pleased. I attached a picture below.

So now the question is, when/where do people drive? To dinner? To Ferrari events? To the grocery store? I am already afraid to park anywhere. I would love to hear how people use their cars.
Very nice color combination. It suits the 456 GT well.

In terms of drives, I tend to go out early on weekend mornings when there is little traffic. This normally allows me to get a good spirited drive in. Parking is always an issue but as long as I don't have to leave it on the street, I will take the Ferrari.

Use and enjoy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts