Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new to the forums, I’m looking at buying a Ferrari 360 or possible a 355. But I have found a 360 where my 2nd house is located down in Florida. Well it’s everything I could ever ask for it’s a 1999 ferrari 360 coupe manual with 42k miles. I asked some questions and asked some similar questions and iknow Some of my Ferrari’s but don’t know a lot about the 360/430 models. I just know it’s the first ever not to have the engine out dreaded services. I look at doing all the work myself as I actually drove my cars and would prefer a higher mileage car, ive also heard if the cars are driven and not sat they are better. And that’s almost any car really but especially your exotics. I currently drive a BMW M4 and do all the work on this car. I daily drive it, I know that the ferrari is not going to be better being it is much much older but I’m looking to daily the car. I would never consider getting one if it was the F1 paddle shift it’s to slow for my taste. I’d prefer to shift manual too as my bmw is DCT trans not manual. The car I’m looking at is priced decent at 75k or best offer but seems cheap for a manual and clear car fax, it has a ugly rear grill and would have to change it but besides that it’s alright the interior looks great, the typical head roof lining Is sagging and major service was completed 3500 miles ago. I plan to put on around 6-8k miles a year on it. How much would it cost to maintain at this expecting nothing will break. Also what is common failures on these cars I’ve always heard the door locks are bad. But I don’t have to do the dreaded engine out service so it may save a penny or two. But I look ya keeping it 1-2 years most likely. I definitely would be getting a PPI on it. How often is services, maintenance etc I would get everything done on time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have owned a gated 2000 360 coupe for 10 years. Figure $2k per year on average for annual and major service every three years. This includes normal things like battery and tires. Car had 7,000 miles when purchased and now has 16k miles.

Add a one time cost of $4-$5k to have sticky control buttons refinished if this has not been done. You can search Ferrari Chat for "sticky" for more information. Droopy sun visors are common and will cost $500 to repair. Ferrari dealer service/repairs will be expensive and anything you can do yourself will save a bunch of money on parts and labor. Get a service manual for this car if you are going to do repairs. There will always be something on a 20 year old Ferrari.

A PPI by someone who knows these cars is imperative. You would want a complete list of previous ownership, carfax, and service records. For info, I have a rear grill for sale in the classified/for sale section of Ferrari Chat.

Gated is the way to go on the 360 series. Will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel. Good luck in your search!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seeing this a week late but $500 to fix floppy visors and 4 to 5K for sticky fix is crazy. Both are DIY for nothing but a little time. Find a coupe with true 6 speed and you will bypass most problems with 360s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a gated 360 Spider - this car need a lot of TLC with 36,000 miles on it. Service Manual is a must if you plan to do any work on the car. I agree with cobras9 - send the plastic out to Sticky RX - they do an amazing job and you will never have to worry again. I cleaned my stuff but all the marking came off and they were never quite right so I took them all out again and sent them to Sticky RX - there is Sticky No More - there process is different and they use decals instead of laser etching.

Make sure you check for leaks ball joints and keys / fobs - most of these cars are missing fobs and the red one contains the code for the immobilizer. Mark is the fob guy and can get you setup if you are missing fobs and he now has a very inexpensive solution! You should also verify if the rear upper trans mount has been replace with the 430 version much better and also check the motor mounts they have been upgraded as well.

I found a local upholstery person, they can fix the headliner and visors for a lot less - shop around.
I do a lot of the work myself as. well but you will need to get some tools from Ricambi like the oil filter wrench and other specialty tools

Good luck on the purchase and most of all have fun. Drive the crap out of the car they are a blast

1 - 4 of 4 Posts