Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are some of you guys with Tech. Tips on what clever ideas you have regarding working on Ferraris. Let's hear them. The one that comes to me at this time is bringing your aluminum engine back to its orig. look by using a product called "Rub and Buff." This product is found in most all hobby shops or shops like Joannes Fabrics, Art Stores. It is a great product and needs only a little bit to do the entire engine. It comes in silver and other colors. Comes in a small tube and is not a paint and won't burn off. Has many uses on all the metal finishes on your Ferrari. Very durable and it goes into the pores of the metal rather than coating the surface like a paint. Gives a orig. looking finish.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cmon Guys, I can't believe some of you do it your selfers,DIYs, don't have some "TIPS" for us on certain fixes or maintenance on your Ferraris. Let's hear them. Magoo

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
tech tip

Ok Magoo I'll bite. This really isn't a tech tip to fix things but its sort of in line with your post. The best solution I have found to cleaning wheels is "Simple Green." It can be found at any K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart, or similar store. I use the concentrated formula and I don't mix it with water. It is a organic solution so there are no harmful chemicals and it takes the dirt and brake dust right off (better than any QuickSilver product can). You can also use this with a power washer to clean your engine but Magoo's method sounds like it will restore a much prettier finish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Many late-model 308 owners have probably encountered a "sagging" center console panel between the shift gate and the gauge/clock cluster panel -- a condition where the console panel (between the gate and the ashtray) dips down, and you can see darkness. Unfortunately, the leading edge of that panel is not supported in any way which is probably the main culprit for this condition.

At any rate, I fixed mine by partially removing the center panel (loosened enough to where I could access the inside of the console), and installing a metal bracket to act as a "rest" for the leading edge, thus supporting it midway. I used a metal curtain rod holder (the type that would support a curtain rod by suspending it away from the wall). This bracket was fastened to the metal rail that runs longitudinally along the base of the center console cavity just on the passenger's side of the shift gate. I first located the best mounting location, marked it, and then *carefully* drilled a small starter hole. Then I reshaped the bracket to the optimum height so as to support the panel level, and used a small sheet metal screw to secure it in place. Finally, I reinstalled all the panels, plates, ashtray, etc.

There's probably a hundred different ways to do this, but it worked for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts