Ferrari Life Forum banner

Leather trunk cover repair

8K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  jagguy 
#1 ·
Ok, we know the zipper is a weak point on the 308 trunk cover. I've nursed mine along and crimped down on the slider to make it grab. But, time takes it's toll and the zipper finally gave way completely. It would no longer close. I removed the whole cover and took it down to a local upholstery shop (a guy who also does boat upholstery) and asked him if he could put a new zipper in. He showed me where the original zipper was "melted" in and he could replace it but it would not look the same and it would be about a week. I told him I just wanted it to close.

2 days later he calls me and says its ready. $40 and the only people that can tell it is not original is me and a concours judge. And it is a stronger "marine grade" zipper than the original. I'm very pleased.

#2 ·
Pete04222 said:
2 days later he calls me and says its ready. $40 and the only people that can tell it is not original is me and a concours judge. And it is a stronger "marine grade" zipper than the original. I'm very pleased.
I wonder if the engine heat melted the zipper. That is a great idea that it is marine grade...ie stronger. Is the zipper still black? If so I doubt anyone can notice. Can you post a close up photo of the new zipper?

#4 ·
I guess I didn't word it correctly when I talked about the zipper being melted in. It was not damaged by heat, the zipper was originally installed by "heat fusing" it to the cover in addition to the stitching.

Here's a close up of the new zipper. The teeth are much larger and "beefier" than the original. Plus it is a pleasure to just zip it closed in one smooth swoop rather than having to go back and forth and hope to try and get it to "catch".

Oh, plus I had 2 small tears in the cover (which I did getting the thing out) that he repaired no extra charge.

Attachments

#14 ·
Gentlemen-
I too had to have my Naugahyde cover/zipper repaired. Try a boot shop or cobbler- very nice job. Also needed leather seat repaired at side stitch or pipping. Boot Guy said " too busy and not his cup of tea" went to a saddle shop and job was great- took me 10 minutes to find seam. No upholstery shop here so maybe useful to others? Bill

#16 ·
Cgt-
It's pretty painless. As you look down at cover, you'll see a rubber weatherstrip all the way around edge. Gently lift weatherstrip off it's seam. Unless someone has re-glued should peel right off. Set weatherstrip aside and you'll find that cover's edges have been held down by the weatherstrip. As you work toward the rear of the car be careful at the two cover latch holes. Mine had 2 rivets each, that I drilled out and replaced with 2 pretty little black screws on re-installation. Replacement is reverse and equally easy. Only problem I can see is if someone had used a glue that might ruin weatherstrip or cover(hopefully not) Good luck, Bill

#24 ·
Update to an old thread. In the end I decided to get a new cover manufactured which fitted the same dimensions as original, but was much heavier duty vinyl and should hopefully last for many years. I got this done by a company called Trimline who do a lot of work on old Porsches.

The cover was actually done two months ago but I only got round to fitting it today because I wanted to find the right adhesive and to be honest I also forgot about it. Here is the finished result.

Attachments

#26 ·
Looks good CGT, can't tell it's not original.

I'd forgotten about this thread. My cover is still fine. Car doesn't start but the trunk cover is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.