Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we know the zipper is a weak point on the 308 trunk cover. I've nursed mine along and crimped down on the slider to make it grab. But, time takes it's toll and the zipper finally gave way completely. It would no longer close. I removed the whole cover and took it down to a local upholstery shop (a guy who also does boat upholstery) and asked him if he could put a new zipper in. He showed me where the original zipper was "melted" in and he could replace it but it would not look the same and it would be about a week. I told him I just wanted it to close.

2 days later he calls me and says its ready. $40 and the only people that can tell it is not original is me and a concours judge. And it is a stronger "marine grade" zipper than the original. I'm very pleased.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Pete04222 said:
2 days later he calls me and says its ready. $40 and the only people that can tell it is not original is me and a concours judge. And it is a stronger "marine grade" zipper than the original. I'm very pleased.
I wonder if the engine heat melted the zipper. That is a great idea that it is marine grade...ie stronger. Is the zipper still black? If so I doubt anyone can notice. Can you post a close up photo of the new zipper?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I didn't word it correctly when I talked about the zipper being melted in. It was not damaged by heat, the zipper was originally installed by "heat fusing" it to the cover in addition to the stitching.

Here's a close up of the new zipper. The teeth are much larger and "beefier" than the original. Plus it is a pleasure to just zip it closed in one smooth swoop rather than having to go back and forth and hope to try and get it to "catch".

Oh, plus I had 2 small tears in the cover (which I did getting the thing out) that he repaired no extra charge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's another good tip to move over to the workshop section.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Leather? :confused: (subject line) Don't you mean vinyl?

I'm lucky: PO bought a new cover (aftermarket made in Germany). I just have to install it. :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought we already covered this issue before. It is leather made from the skin of the Nauga.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes but do the US versions use hides from the North American Nauga or the European Nauga ?
Wasn't the European Nauga hunted to extinction? I believe that when the Nauga was introduced into America from it's native Sumatra in the late 1700's the Americans were so busy hunting the buffalo to extinction that the Nauga was able to prosper. You'd probably find that when GM was sending all the air conditioning compressors over to Ferrari they were wrapped in this Nauga hide and the crafty Italians, not to waste anything, used it for the trunk cover.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Wasn't the European Nauga hunted to extinction? I believe that when the Nauga was introduced into America from it's native Sumatra in the late 1700's the Americans were so busy hunting the buffalo to extinction that the Nauga was able to prosper. You'd probably find that when GM was sending all the air conditioning compressors over to Ferrari they were wrapped in this Nauga hide and the crafty Italians, not to waste anything, used it for the trunk cover.
Well, not quite, while the Italians did use the US Nauga hides, they tossed out the GM air conditioning compressors. Instead they opted for those highly effective locally sourced units fitted in Daytonas and Boxers. I believe the model is called "mouse blowing on ice cube".

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I guess I didn't word it correctly when I talked about the zipper being melted in. It was not damaged by heat, the zipper was originally installed by "heat fusing" it to the cover in addition to the stitching.

Here's a close up of the new zipper. The teeth are much larger and "beefier" than the original. Plus it is a pleasure to just zip it closed in one smooth swoop rather than having to go back and forth and hope to try and get it to "catch".

Oh, plus I had 2 small tears in the cover (which I did getting the thing out) that he repaired no extra charge.
Same place mine ripped when i took mine out to redo the zipper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gentlemen-
I too had to have my Naugahyde cover/zipper repaired. Try a boot shop or cobbler- very nice job. Also needed leather seat repaired at side stitch or pipping. Boot Guy said " too busy and not his cup of tea" went to a saddle shop and job was great- took me 10 minutes to find seam. No upholstery shop here so maybe useful to others? Bill

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very good info, can anyone advise please how to remove the cover/zipper part from the car (and how to refit it once a new zipper is on)?

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cgt-
It's pretty painless. As you look down at cover, you'll see a rubber weatherstrip all the way around edge. Gently lift weatherstrip off it's seam. Unless someone has re-glued should peel right off. Set weatherstrip aside and you'll find that cover's edges have been held down by the weatherstrip. As you work toward the rear of the car be careful at the two cover latch holes. Mine had 2 rivets each, that I drilled out and replaced with 2 pretty little black screws on re-installation. Replacement is reverse and equally easy. Only problem I can see is if someone had used a glue that might ruin weatherstrip or cover(hopefully not) Good luck, Bill

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cgt-
It's pretty painless. As you look down at cover, you'll see a rubber weatherstrip all the way around edge. Gently lift weatherstrip off it's seam. Unless someone has re-glued should peel right off. Set weatherstrip aside and you'll find that cover's edges have been held down by the weatherstrip. As you work toward the rear of the car be careful at the two cover latch holes. Mine had 2 rivets each, that I drilled out and replaced with 2 pretty little black screws on re-installation. Replacement is reverse and equally easy. Only problem I can see is if someone had used a glue that might ruin weatherstrip or cover(hopefully not) Good luck, Bill
Thanks Bill :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
A good Marine supply shop should be able to replace the zipper.
:thumbsup: I have just the people to fix it, just need to get it out of the car. I have a sneaky suspicion it may have been glued. The cover itself is in very good condition but the zipper doesn't zip properly.

If I can get it out I'll take some pictures and post them up here. :cry3:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok the cover is out, took 15 minutes.

I'm expecting a pretty quick turnaround and will then refit it using your idea Bill of replacing the rivets with screws.

What type of adhesive is recommended on the engine bay lip side?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts