Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
the Lamborghini episode on Top Gear hehehehe really nice!

aren't they going to make a Ferrari episode this series? That should be nice!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
the Lamborghini episode on Top Gear hehehehe really nice!

aren't they going to make a Ferrari episode this series? That should be nice!
Yes they are making a 60th Anniversary special - 599 GTB, 275 GTB, F355 GTS, Daytona and something else?
They are also testing the 430 Scuderia.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The pure form Countach, without all the wings and addons, looks great, I mean considering when it was designed, a real mind blower way back then, that's gotta count for alot, like Jimi Hendrix's original pyschadelic stuff, it's been copied and even bettered, but the original is still incredible to me!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
:( well, talk about bad timing, there goes my ride in the F50! :( hehehehehehehe

I'd take the F50 over the Countach anyday, don't get me wrong

but considering only the cool factor, I think the Countach is cooler than anything else than the F40

in terms of beauty, the F50 looks better (maybe even better than the F40)

like JC says about TG's cool wall, the cool factor is very different from being the best car or the best looking car

now PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE would you still take me for a ride in the F50???? :D:D:D

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
The pure form Countach, without all the wings and addons, looks great, I mean considering when it was designed, a real mind blower way back then, that's gotta count for alot, like Jimi Hendrix's original pyschadelic stuff, it's been copied and even bettered, but the original is still incredible to me!
I have tried over the years to like the Countach, but I just can't. Everytime I see one I get a mental image of a tank or an armadillo. It deserves it's place in history as a legendry car and I'm sure it contributed something to the evolution of the supercar, the same as Elvis and The Beatles did for music, but I don't have to like them either. I'd have been a Stones, Who and Led Zep man if I was into music in the late 60's early 70's.
I first became aware of the 365 GT/4 BB and Countach in 1976, by then I was already a budding Tifosi following the fortunes of Nikki Lauda. Therefore, out of loyalty I was always going to prefer the Boxer to the Lambo, but look at the Boxer, it is another beautiful example of Pininfarina's work. The Lambo was outrageous, but I can't see how you could call it beautiful. The Boxer has been in the Lambo's shadow for 30+ years, not because the Lambo is better, but because the lambo is outrageous, but which is the better car? I haven't driven either, so am not qualified to say, but I'd bet that the critics would say it's the Boxer.
Don't get me wrong, not all Lambo's are ugly, for example, Muira, Gallardo and Murcielago, and possibly the Diablo depending on my mood and the colour of the car.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Now you have gone an upset the F40.
hehehehehehehe I just don't get it right!

but here is what I think: the F40 is the only perfect supercar. The rest is the rest, some are beautiful, some are cool, some aren't.

The F40 is perfect, simple, everythink the perfect supercar should have (including SOUL) is there, in those 1100 kg and 478 bhp

the F50 is really nice and one very beautiful car, but it's not perfect (where are the turbos??)

the Countach is cool but it's not a Ferrari, and it's not a car that you can actually drive (too unpractical)

P.S.: Boxer, I hope you at least go meet me on foot, since I think I lost my ride! hehehehehehehehe we'll take a walk and talk about the weather, how's that? hehehehehehe

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've always loved the early Countach LP400 without the fender flares and with the original slotted wheels. I started liking them less when the flares, Silhouette-type round slot wheels, and wings showed up. And some of the later versions were more like caricatures of the original and truly ugly. Although exotics are not designed foremost to provide lap-of-luxury comforts, I've read and heard the Countach is harder to live in than the Boxer.

So I vote Boxer, hands down... more beautiful, with a body design that to me harkens back to 60's and early 70's endurance racing, and at least equal performance to the LP400. I've read more comfortable and easy to drive also, although I've never driven either. But for my money... the Boxer!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
PS - re: the F40 and F50, I love each of them, but the F50 is a V12 after all, and I think that makes it the only mid-engine "consumer" V12 Ferrari.... am I correct on that (not counting the Flat 12's)? Seems the F40 is more raw and I'd say more competition oriented with turbos, and F50 more easy to drive as an onroad GT while being just as fast. So I vote for the normally-aspirated with V12 purity, F50!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
PS - re: the F40 and F50, I love each of them, but the F50 is a V12 after all, and I think that makes it the only mid-engine "consumer" V12 Ferrari.... am I correct on that (not counting the Flat 12's)? Seems the F40 is more raw and I'd say more competition oriented with turbos, and F50 more easy to drive as an onroad GT while being just as fast. So I vote for the normally-aspirated with V12 purity, F50!
No, the Enzo is also a V12. Very different concept from the F50 though. The F50 was designed to be a barely road legal F1. Push rod suspension, engine bolted to the carbonfiber tube, etc. The F50 engine was adapted from the 93 F1 unit and detuned for road use. The Enzo was designed to be a road car from the start.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
So I vote Boxer, hands down... more beautiful, with a body design that to me harkens back to 60's and early 70's endurance racing, and at least equal performance to the LP400. I've read more comfortable and easy to drive also, although I've never driven either. But for my money... the Boxer!!
Having driven both (admittedly the Countach only briefly but that was plenty), you can, and I have, driven the Boxer across continents and not do permanent damage to your back, neck, and internal organs. Once you settle in, the Boxer is quite a comfortable and pleasant place to be. The Countach just is not.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Countach with the two babes in it in the Cannonball Run movie left an indellible mark in my psyche! I think I was about six years old at the time and it was the first car I really fell in love with.

I know it would be an absolute pig to drive but I think it is one of the most spectacular shapes on the road. I would love to have one one day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Boxer, not sure how I forgot about the Enzo, but you're right of course. I can't afford any of them, so I'll have to console myself with a 355 when I can find one that works for me.:)
Rick

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was only trying to defend the looks of the Countach, in it's earliest form, without all the flares, wings, slots, etc. As for comparing it to the Boxer, I feel that the Boxer is a gorgeous design, and is far prettier than the Countach, and probably MUCH more fun to drive! I'd have a Countach in my living room as art, if I could afford it, the Boxer would be in my garage as DRIVEABLE art!!! Ciao! Dennis

1 - 20 of 22 Posts