Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Barry Wolinsky here.

I was wondering what your feelings are regarding replacement of the stock air filter element on my 1976 Ferrari 308 GTB with the K&N filter. I've used K&Ns in the past on other cars. I haven't really noticed any difference in performance, but it's nice to be able to clean and reuse the filters. Because the Ferrari has those open scoops which allow for ingestion of debris and until I can find or make the grills that came on some European 308s, I was thinking of using the K&N element.

There's always discussion regarding improved airflow and I've heard that some claim an improved induction sound. I enjoy the sound those four Webers make when I step on the accelerator. It would be hard to improve on that!

Barry

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magoo,

Hi there! So in your opinion, you do not see any contraindication to replacement of the stock air filter with the K&N? I know there is always lots of debate on this issue with fuel-injected models.

I've been inquiring as to availabilty of that side scoop screen. I'll keep you all posted.

Barry

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I've tried to regularly clean and oil my K&Ns for that reason. They can be expensive. I've often seen them advertised for $110 for the 308. I know that Performance Products (where I get Porsche stuff) sells it for $53.

Barry

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The K&N filter I was referring to was the filter to fit in the airbox. Anyway, when the car was recently serviced the UFI filter was quite clean. As it's only 2 years old with less than 1500 miles on it, it can serve a while longer.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pete,

Think of the GT-40s at Le Mans in the 1960s. I think the Ferraris and Porsches during that era also had their stacks visible through cut-outs in the engine decks thereby drawing ambient temperature air. But I don't think any GTS or GTB owner would do that. It would kind of look pretty sharp, though.

Barry

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Pete, I had the same image pop into my head and thought of overhead shots of those Le Mans racers. As I said, I wasn't too sure if any 308 owner would do it, but why not get a second engine deck hood. Put the original deck away and enjoy your view of the stacks out the rearview mirror!

Barry

ps the new GT 40 just has a glass cover where the cut-out was on the originals. It's fuel-injected. We're lucky to have those carbs!

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thinking of the movie "Le Mans," I remember scenes of the cars in the pits shot from overhead. If I remember correctly, you could look right down into the carburettors and see the leaves moving in unison. I guess they didn't even bother with air filters as the engine only had to last 24 hours.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Peter,

As you said, "You bet!" Originally, I set out to find a QV. I kept an open mind to the earlier carburetted 308s. One test-drive in a carbed 308 and I quickly forgot all the QVs I had tested.

Barry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.