Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking at a few cars to buy (will buy only 1) 1977, 79, 80, and 83 308 GTS. I am a novice when it comes to Ferraris. Any one who has "intimate" knowledge of any of these cars, please let me know your opinions!! All the cars I am looking at have fairly low mileage and seem to be in good condition. Your opinions are really appreciated. thanks.
Jeffrey
Bloomington, IN

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Jeffrey,

Welcome to the site. I would start with the 308 Buyer's guide on this site. The '77 will be a carb engine which I like because the sound and tuning factor. If my memory is correct an '80 would be between the car version and the QV so I would avoid this as it was the least powered 308.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know that most everyone says to avoid the '80-82 injection cars, but I personally searched out mine, because to me, they are easier to live with as a driver. No, they are not as powerful, but they are certainly easy to tune, or should I say, they stay in tune. I had the 246GT which I loved, but the carbs took a lot of time, tuning regulary, even twice the same day! This injected car has had NO adjustments all year, and starts with a touch of the key in neutral, without me even in the car! I just lean in, pull the parking brake, make sure it's in neutral, then touch the key and it fires up, revs high until operating temps are right, then I know it's reaedy for a drive, and drive it I do, and love it!! Of course, the QV is better, so is the 328, even better, the 355, but it's all about what YOU really want, and want to spend! Carb cars are truely great and more vintage, but I love getting in and driving! Even with the low powered '82, I can easily get arrested!! I really don't know why everyone's so down on the '80-82 cars! Just my rant, I love 'em all!! Ciao.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the site

I just got my 1987 Mondial three months ago. So, I too, am a novice. But, the more I drive it, the more I love it. The engine sound alone makes heads turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts