Ferrari Life Forum banner

599 GTB or Audi R8

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
that's crazy, the R8 is in the same league of the Porsche 911, at the best it could go against the F430 (but I really think it's unfair because the Ferrari is far too superior)

you're comparing it with the 599, which is newer, bigger and more powerful than the F430, so it makes no sense to me at all

Ferrari all the way!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I agree with you about how the GTB is definitely faster and in a different league than the R8, but I personally like the R8 more:eek:

Chris

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
that's crazy, the R8 is in the same league of the Porsche 911, at the best it could go against the F430 (but I really think it's unfair because the Ferrari is far too superior)

you're comparing it with the 599, which is newer, bigger and more powerful than the F430, so it makes no sense to me at all

Ferrari all the way!
Agree with Stile. The R8 is a great everyday junior supercar, but it is not in the same league as any current production Ferrari. If you've watched Clarkson's Supercar Showdown you will see that it was fairly evenly matched with the 997 GT3, and slightly better than a Vantage V8.

Don't get me wrong, I love the R8, and would choose one over a Porsche every day of the week. But you can't compare it with a V12 599 GTB, it's a bit like comparing an apple with a leg of lamb:confused:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Even though Audi is now stealing the 24H Le Mans, with their one-of-a-kind (shameful IMHO) diesel rockets, a street Audi is not comparable to a street Ferrari.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Agree with Stile. The R8 is a great everyday junior supercar, but it is not in the same league as any current production Ferrari. If you've watched Clarkson's Supercar Showdown you will see that it was fairly evenly matched with the 997 GT3, and slightly better than a Vantage V8.

Don't get me wrong, I love the R8, and would choose one over a Porsche every day of the week. But you can't compare it with a V12 599 GTB, it's a bit like comparing an apple with a leg of lamb:confused:
I wouldn't call it an apple...more like comparing a beef to a leg of lamb...no matter how well seasoned and cooked the beef is, the lamb will always be superior.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I wouldn't call it an apple...more like comparing a beef to a leg of lamb...no matter how well seasoned and cooked the beef is, the lamb will always be superior.
I would rather have well seasoned beef...like a sirloin steak;)

Chris

·
Registered
271 Posts
If I was offered an R8 for free...

I would immediately sell it and buy a mint F355 and possibly an RS4 for the daily hack. :D

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It's worth mentioning that there is a rumor that Audi will be launching 2 new versions of the R8 this year.

1. R8 roadster - same mechanics, so nothing new.

2. R12 - V12 TDi with 660 BHP and a 200+ MPH top speed. This is bordering on Ferrari territory and it will be interesting to see how it compares with the 430 and 599 then.

Even so, I would still go for the Ferrari. But before anyone writes Audi off, they do have a good pedigree dating back to their Auto Union grand prix winning cars from the 30's, as well as more recent clean sweeps at Le Mans.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I know the petrolheads won't like a diesel supercar, but I think Audi are only doing it to keep the environmental police happy, and to give them the breathing space to put more horsepower in their petrol V8's.

I really would like to see how it stands up against a 599 GTB and a LP640 Murcielago. One thing's for sure, it will be far more reliable as a daily driver even if it lacks the thrill of the Italian's.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
....hmmm I seem to be alone on this one;)

Chris

·
Registered
374 Posts
Archie, you ever had the opportunity to pump diesel fuel into a car? You might notice that your hand stinks after you've finished refueling.

Also, I understand that Audi is trying to sell a lot of diesel cars in the USA, hence their effort into race-winning diesel , taking the fun out of race cars :mad:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I haven't driven either car but on pure looks the 599 is sexier. The R8's front has much to be desired for me; looks too weird.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I was amazed at the fact that I chose a car that wasn't a Ferrari;-)

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts