Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Sunday as I was driving my son to the airport, I was listening to the motorman, Leon Kaplan, on the radio. He took a call from Jay Leno. Mr. Leno needed a referral from Mr. Kaplan regarding an iron head on an old car.

During the conversion it came up that Mr. Leno had driven the Bugatti for about 75 miles. He did not care for the paddle shifters and was not impressed with the car. If Mr. Leno does not care for a car, it is a good indication something is wrong with it. At over $1,000,000, nothing should be wrong.

8)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, when people have much more money than most other people, a million dollars to them might be what a thousand or two is to us, so he might not be impressed with much within that price range, being used to things of a higher value anyway. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm sure its a fantastic machine but to me personally it looks like a giant insect! hehe :lol:

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Bart said:
Mr. Leno had driven the Bugatti for about 75 miles. He did not care for the paddle shifters and was not impressed with the car. If Mr. Leno does not care for a car, it is a good indication something is wrong with it. At over $1,000,000, nothing should be wrong.
Mr. Leno has the money to buy any car in the world and crush it into a cube and use it as a coffee table and not care. When you have this much money and that many cars (warehouses full) you can say what you want but it doesn’t mean its true or something is wrong, its an opinion. Paddle shifters are not for everyone. I tried paddles, hated it, couldn’t drive properly and thought it sucked. My friend took me through the same back winding mountain road I tried it, and I was amazed at his ability to use the paddles. Would I buy a paddle shift Ferrari because my friend can drive it well ? No, I hate it, and will never buy one unless it has a shifter ! but it doesn’t make it a poor design or flaw !

This is a quote from the article…

Article said:
For this, VW went to Ricardo, a British company that makes gearboxes for various Formula One teams.

“God, it was hard,” said one of the engineers I know vaguely. “The gearbox in an F1 car only has to last a few hours. Volkswagen wanted the Veyron’s to last 10 or 20 years. And remember, the Bugatti is a damn sight more powerful than any F1 car.”

The result, a seven-speed double-clutch flappy paddle affair, took a team of 50 engineers five years to perfect.

Power 1001bhp @ 6000rpm
Torque 922 lb ft @ 2200rpm

Personally, im impressed that the gearbox doesn’t explode…1001hp…50 engineers, 5 years to to build and perfect....unbelievable…

umm last time I check, Mr. Leno was a comedian, not an engineer.

8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts