Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, after reassembling the top of my 308 GTBi, I reconnected the battery, put it in neutral, twisted the key, and it fired up on the first touch! Ran on fast idle for about 5 minutes, then dropped down to 1000 rpm. I drove down to the gas station, filled it with premium, checked the oil and water, okay, drove through the city, monitoring the gauges, then out on the open highway!! Drove for an hour at 70 mph, 4200 rpm, 180 water temp, 210 oil temp and about 70 psi oil pressure, rides like a dream at that speed!! Next up, new headliner, oh and I STILL have one headlight dimmer than the other, even though I replaced them both! Drive those older cars, man they're sweet!! Ciao, Dennis

·
Registered
402 Posts
well done :drive:

wow yours runs pretty cool, temp of mine mine runs at between 190 and 220.
i still have not noticed oil temp yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Steve, I think I'll join ya with some fine red Aussie juice! I ordered that label, and a few others, from the site you gave me, thanks! Oh, that 4200 rpm at 70 mph was in 4th gear. I think it likes running around 3000-5000 rpms, I try not to let it below 3000. AND I shift from 1st to 2nd, without any drama what-so-ever, right out of the driveway! Most of my city driving is in 2nd or 3rd gear, it's probably not great to drive in 4th gear at 2500 rpm, is it? I'm still in love and I don't see any complications in my near future! I might invest more than it's worth by detailing more stuff along the way, but I seriously can't think I'd want a better car than a black GTBi with 16" rims, even though the qv and 328s are much better, I like the original design the most, albiet with the 16s. I've got the red interior, which at first I thought, I'd prefer "saddle" or black, but red is growing on me, plus, the interior is another area that I might over invest in, all new, eventually, so I have time to think about that option! Steve, I really enjoy all your coments and appreciate all your advice! Same goes for everyone else on this forum that chimes in from time to time, THANKS!! All of my comments about rpm, temps, pressures, and driving experiences are meant to prompt others to share their personal views, I hope it works, I'm always interested in hearing how my Ferrari ownership compares with others! Now let's decant some Shiraz and let it breathe!! Ciao, Dennis

·
Registered
366 Posts
OK, Dennis, think about this: You can change the color of the interior leather to anything you want. Log onto www.colorplus.com and look at their brochure called "About Leather". Excellent information. It's a fair amount of work, but you can strip the leather down to the bare cow, soften it, and re-dye it any color you want. I swear the leather will look brand new. You can change white to black, or black to white. They have a bunch of standard colors, or they will mix any color you want. Their products are terrific, and I've done five or six cars now. You can do both seats, both door panels, the entire console, and a few small pieces for a grand total of about $250. Get the carpet done locally, and you'll have a new interior just the way you want it. -Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks, Steve, I think I'll join ya with some fine red Aussie juice! I ordered that label, and a few others, from the site you gave me, thanks! Oh, that 4200 rpm at 70 mph was in 4th gear. I think it likes running around 3000-5000 rpms, I try not to let it below 3000. AND I shift from 1st to 2nd, without any drama what-so-ever, right out of the driveway! Most of my city driving is in 2nd or 3rd gear, it's probably not great to drive in 4th gear at 2500 rpm, is it? I'm still in love and I don't see any complications in my near future! I might invest more than it's worth by detailing more stuff along the way, but I seriously can't think I'd want a better car than a black GTBi with 16" rims, even though the qv and 328s are much better, I like the original design the most, albiet with the 16s. I've got the red interior, which at first I thought, I'd prefer "saddle" or black, but red is growing on me, plus, the interior is another area that I might over invest in, all new, eventually, so I have time to think about that option! Steve, I really enjoy all your coments and appreciate all your advice! Same goes for everyone else on this forum that chimes in from time to time, THANKS!! All of my comments about rpm, temps, pressures, and driving experiences are meant to prompt others to share their personal views, I hope it works, I'm always interested in hearing how my Ferrari ownership compares with others! Now let's decant some Shiraz and let it breathe!! Ciao, Dennis
What would be wrong with driving it in fourth gear at 2500?

·
Registered
167 Posts
What would be wrong with driving it in fourth gear at 2500?
Certian ferraris do not deal well with low RPMs my testarossa for instance will have an overheating catalyst problem below 3k because too much fuel is getting into the cats...also will foul the pulgs

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fell that the engine will run better and last longer, if I keep the revs up past 3000, maybe I'm wrong, but it does seem to make sense, because when I accelerate, in 4th at 2500, it seems to lug, which can't be good for it! When the revs are up, it runs like a dream and pulls strongly, and I'm thinking that's the key to keeping these engines in good running order, USE 'EM, they're meant for it!! (just my observations, and opinions) as always your comments are welcome!! Ciao, Dennis

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, yes, I think the restoration of my red leather is a good idea, and I spoke with the shop that is doing my headliner, and they are quite in favor of that as well! I want some sort of pockets made for the seat backs, and they say they can match the leather I already have, plus they can easily make a new carpet set! So red it will stay! Oh the door panels have been butchered for round speakers, so something has to be done there, but the interior, other than the headliner is okay for now! The headliner is the same color as original, off white, but in light texture vinyl, I think that's better than the basket weave for my purpose, still looks like it COULD'VE been original! Ciao, Dennis

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good deal, Dennis. You will find that most places that re-dye leather don't take the time to completely strip off the old dye, and soften first. That prep, of course, is the hard part, and is 90% of the time. Most places just spray over the old stuff, and it looks like hell. So...even if you stay with red, do it right and strip it. And you'll find that the small cracks you see are actually in the old dye, not the leather. When you strip it off, the leather will not be cracked. The results are worth the effort. Go for it! -Steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve, I was going to try that myself, I saved an article using Leathertique, but Omer, the guy doing my headliner, said he has used a product that removes all the finish and restores the leather, then he re-dyes it and it sounds like what I was planning, so I'll ask him for an estimate, but I won't skimp. I want him to take the necessary time to prep it properly, and charge me enough so that he will be happy doing a good, time consuming, job! The interior isn't THAT bad, just the headliner! I doubt that all new carpet will cost much, and I'm sure he can do a better job of the edging. I have all red carpets, no black horse, or logos. Some people really like the red interior on the black car, what do you think? Dennis

·
Registered
366 Posts
As Richard Feynman once wrote, "What Do You Care What Other People Think?". If you like red carpet, that's what you should do.

As for the leather, why don't you do it yourself? You like to work on your car, and I assure you, it's mostly grunt work and very little skill.

Steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's true about who really cares what everyone else likes, it's what I like that matters for me, and what you like for you, although I do value your opinion! Okay, yes, I was thinking of doing that leather restoration myself, and you are right, I really like working on it so I just might! The headliner though is more complicated. I WILL do a belt change myself sometime, will you be able to guide me through that when the time comes? I've already had the rear wheel inner panels off to look at the access, and it looks like if I remove all the stuff from the engine front, I should be able to expose those timing belts, so is there any risk of messing up the timing by simply changing them? That's for another time though, now I want to drive it!!! Oh, I just had another glass of Shiraz, mmmmmmmm... Dennis

·
Registered
366 Posts
Of course I will be happy to guide you through a belt change. I'm convinced you can do it. The biggest pain by far is removing the air conditioning compressor. Anyway, that's a subject for another time....

As for the leather work, one nice thing is that you can do one piece at a time, and still drive the car. The driver's seat is the only exception.

Keep in touch. I'm enjoying your car with you, because it's too damn hot here to enjoy mine.

Steve

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Steve, pretty damned hot here too, 90 and full sun, that's 30C, around 90F. We're on the wide open Praries, not a cloud for hundreds of kilometers!! This is what they call BIG SKY!! Dennis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts