Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a newbie considering the purchase of an '88 Testarossa. Fact is, I live in Northern Ontario and have never had the opportunity to get into one. I am 6'3", 230lbs and suspect that headroom will be scarce. Anyone have any observations they would like to share? And is the pedal cluster movable on a TR?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Dave

Welcome to FerrariLife.

That is a tough question. I know someone about your weight but is about 5' 11". he fits into his TR.

I think you need to first experience the interior dimensions as you may find it a bit tough to enter/exit that car.

And I do not believe you can move any Ferrari pedal locations.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Have you ever thought of a spider problem solved for the height.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Dude i am just over 6ft and 266lbs and i fit just fine in my ex Testarossa, no problem with head room:thumbsup:
Even though i have driven and fit in a 246 dino.....just. The only car that i had real problems with regarding head room is my Ex 328, now that bugger had tight head room and the gear stick was a pain against my leg.
With me because of my shoulder and chest size my problem can be the seat width, it can be a little tight in the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
I test drove a 512TR and the vertical height was a tad low ...... but I fit ok ...... the only real clearance issue was, when I wanted to look out the driver window while backing up and kept hitting my head on the driver window over-rider ..... :eek: ........... my height is 6' even.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
should have not problem as far as I can see: He'll fit fine.

rik

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I might fit in a TR. Actually, I have a convertible at the moment, a '61 E-type flat floor roadster, which I modified to fit. I yanked the pedals, and with help from my cutting torch, heated and bent the clutch and brake pedal arms laterally to accomodate my generous (size 13) feet, and then relocated them on their respective shafts. In later years, of course, Jaguar depressed the floor plan to accomodate feet such as mine. I fiddled with the seat rails and went to a smaller-diameter steering wheel, and am now able to drive the car quite comfortably, even with the top up. Oh, the things we do for love.....
Be careful, though, about assumptions that Canadian drivers have to cope with many obstacles in order to enjoy their high-zoot toys. There are numerous gorgeous winding highways up here that are sparsely patrolled by the local constabulary and where one may, shall we say, let the dog off the leash with impunity. But not in January...

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
--- let the dog off the leash with impunity. ---
Dawgs?

We are talkin about dawgs now?

I thought we were concerned about a tight fit. Now it's dawgs and it's not even hot dawgs cause you mentioned January!

I am very confused.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I yanked the pedals, and with help from my cutting torch, heated and bent the clutch and brake pedal arms laterally to accomodate my generous (size 13) feet, and then relocated them on their respective shafts. ...
With size 13 feet, the pedals are likely to be more of an issue than either headroom or width. Ferrari pedal boxes are not roomy. If the steering wheel is tight on the legs, a wheel extender (Hills Engineering makes them) will fix the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tip, Boxer. I'm coming to the realisation that I need to find a TR in Toronto or thereabouts and somehow charm the owner into allowing me to try it on for size. Are you aware of any Toronto-area TR owners that subscribe to this forum?
Thanks again.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Boxer. I'm coming to the realisation that I need to find a TR in Toronto or thereabouts and somehow charm the owner into allowing me to try it on for size. Are you aware of any Toronto-area TR owners that subscribe to this forum?
Thanks again.

carguy or williamtaylor might know of an owner. Suggest you PM them.

Otherwise I would contact the local Ferrari Club:

http://ferrariclubofamerica.com/regions.cfm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts