Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Newbie here, don't own a Ferrari but would like to buy one sometime, far off into the future (after medical school, residency and landing a job).

I was reading about the Northern California Racing Club and the website said all open cars (convertibles) need roll cages on them in order to race. The website said as of June 2004, no "hoop" roll cages b/h the driver seat would be permitted. From pics of the F360 spider, it seems the F360 Spider has these "hoop" roll cages but I'm not sure about that.

My question is are the roll cages on the F360 spider SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) race legal?

Thanks all and take care.

ps- great site. If I had money, I'd contribute. But right now, the well is very dry.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Haven't heard of that ruling. I wonder if all you'd have to do to the Spider is have someone weld a bar across the 2 "hoops". Hum, maybe we should just race the 360 Coupes. :green:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the site, after seeing the hits on our NCRC web site.

NCRC's rule on convertibles is that they must pass the broomstick test. That'll mean it's specific to the particular driver/car combination. I've never sat in the Modena Spider, so I can't really picture where the hoops are relative to my 6' height, but the bottom line will be that if you can sit in the car with helmet on, and the line from the hoop to the window frame is clear, then you're fine. If your helmet is above this line, then the car will not be allowed. So you can easily check this at home and find out where you sit.

We feel this is in the best interest of safety, and is a pretty rational positioning. Apologies in advance to those that are affected by the ruling.

Dave - NCRC co-founder

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Found a pic (courtesy of whoever made the ebay auction pics it came from)

It looks like it will be ok, since the top of the rollbars are quite high, and the top of the headredst is a few cm's below it. I think you are allright, but a helmet takes some space too, so try it at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I've read that a lot of race tracks do not allow spiders and convertables unless they have full roll cage. But at Sepang the spyder is still allowed on the track.

·
Registered
151 Posts
tracknut said:
Hi,

NCRC's rule on convertibles is that they must pass the broomstick test. That'll mean it's specific to the particular driver/car combination. I've never sat in the Modena Spider, so I can't really picture where the hoops are relative to my 6' height, but the bottom line will be that if you can sit in the car with helmet on, and the line from the hoop to the window frame is clear, then you're fine. If your helmet is above this line, then the car will not be allowed. So you can easily check this at home and find out where you sit.

We feel this is in the best interest of safety, and is a pretty rational positioning. Apologies in advance to those that are affected by the ruling.

Dave - NCRC co-founder
At the FCA events which may be more relaxed than the NCRC convertibles are allowed to run period. They can only have a passenger if there is a rollcage or rollbars. aside from the topic, I am just glad I learned about you guys and have a chance to register for the Laguna Seca event on the Feb 12.

Cheers,

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
tracknut said:
Hi,

Dave - NCRC co-founder
Dave,

Welcome to Ferrari Forum, glad to have a "tracknut," perhaps we can hold a future event up there.

Just wanted to clear one thing up. All the information you just posted, is this your tracks rule? or SCCA's?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
Welcome to Ferrari Forum, glad to have a "tracknut," perhaps we can hold a future event up there.
Thanks for the welcome. We hold events at Willow Springs and Buttonwillow too, if that's more in your part of town. But we do hold more events at the northern CA tracks, that's where Troy (the other half of this venture) and I live.
Enzo250GTO said:
Just wanted to clear one thing up. All the information you just posted, is this your tracks rule? or SCCA's?
Good clarification. I posted the rules for Northern California Racing Club only. I'm not speaking for SCCA or even American Racing Club (The NCRC counterpart for racing) rules. Most actual racing events would not touch a convertible without a full (and ugly) cage.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts