Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened again today. Stopped in to a store to get a drink and the guy behind the counter says, "Is that a kit car?" I said, "No." He said, "I didn't think so but I had to ask." I said, "I know, that is the most common question I'm asked."

I'm starting to think a kit car with a Pontiac engine would be more readily accepted by the general population.

Yokel: "Is that one of them kit cars?"
Me: "Yeah."
Yokel: "What's it got in it?"
Me: "A Pontiac V-6"
Yokel: "Wow, that thing must FLY!! Cool!! It looks just like a Ferrari!!"

I think I might just start telling people that it's a kit car. If they want to look under the hood I can tell them its a 6 cylinder and the extra spark plug wires are "dummies" and I bought Ferrari valve covers. They will appreciate the lengths I went to preserve "authenticity".

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
you shouldn´t really care about what people think...

specially when you are driving a Ferrari!!!

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
That is always amazing. I guess the Ferrari brand isn't as strong as some think it is.
I think that the brand is strong, but some people prefer to think that you are poor bloke like them who can't afford a Ferrari, rather than a lucky bloke who can :D :D
Being a poor bloke who can't, I have had the opposite happen. I was told by an old man that I was driving a Morgan, and how he had owned one once and when I told him my car was a "kit" he told me I didn't know what I was talking about ! :D :D My car isn't even a replica! Come the day, it'll have to be a real Ferrari. :D

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Most people can tell the difference because they have never seen a real one or bothered to read about them. So as soon as they see a Ferrari badge they cant believe they are looking at one so they automatically think its a kit car.

I have seen really good kit cars where I would of bet money on that it was a Ferrari. The lines on the car were from a slight distance almost perfect but one look inside screamed Fiero !

------The secret of life is not to have everything you want, but to want everything you have------

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
"Is it real?"

Tell them the Fiero based replicar is in the shop, so you had to drive this one! 8)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Pete04222 said:
If they want to look under the hood I can tell them its a 6 cylinder and the extra spark plug wires are "dummies" and I bought Ferrari valve covers. They will appreciate the lengths I went to preserve "authenticity".
Or you could tell them you took the Pontiac V6 and had two more cyliders added so it would be a V8 for even more authenticity. :lol:

So Pete...when are you going to drive that replica from Durham, Maine to Durham, North Carolina? :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts