Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do some of we Ferrari purists consider convertibles to be less "serious" as driving machines and are more "show off" in nature? Of course I am excluding models which are open-top racers.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
What's a Ferrari purist? How does one get this wonderful title? To be honest I see this word all the time and have never said anything until now. So some know more about Ferrari than others. Does this qualify them to pass judgement on others taste? I don't think so.

To answer your question from my point of view, I think it depends on the owners. Some of course get a Ferrari for the looks, others because they love the marquee, others like to light their hair on fire when driving, etc. So which ever category a person fits into that is how they will view their car. So I think you can own a 'serious' convertible Ferrari.

BTW your topic is quite funny, I'm not sure if you meant it to read that way or not but I'm guessing you did.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
One needs a top because it rains where I live. You can't go as fast with a rag top up. Hardtops can go anytime. Just my 2 cents.

:p

·
Registered
132 Posts
the simple solution is to buy a GTS. top on or top off. IMO the only thing pure about ANY sporting car is that it should always have a stick shift. none of this paddle shift non-sense. if you cant work a clutch and shifter you should not be behind the wheel of any car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can also by a Spider. It has an electrif roof now. I also have the F1 gearbox : it makes it easier for my left leg and I prefer it above the shiftstick. But that's my choice. That's also the reason why you CAN choose between spider/hardtop and F1/stick. It is up to the driver to decide.

BTW, here in Europe most cars have manual gearboxes so everybody knows how to drive with a shiftstick.

Didier.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I think that open air driving adds the "sport' in a sports car. You are experiencing more of the environment. It is not just a grocery getter or mere transportation. It is different, it is a luxury. Not just a ride, an experience.

BTW - I have had convertibles before, Fords and Oldsmobiles (and of course Jeeps). One thing that impressed me about the 308: I had the car going down the highway at over 100 mph with the windows down and the top off and there was not a breath of wind inside the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bart said:
You can't go as fast with a rag top up. Hardtops can go anytime. Just my 2 cents.

:p
your right, when you have a rag top and you want to drive fast (more than 200 km/h (125 mph)), then you have to open it. and if you are that fast, you don't have a problem anymore with rain getting in ;-)

trevi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts