Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to address this thread for everyone on your thoughts but mainly to all the Ferrari owners on the site to see how you guys and girls felt or feel.

My question is, when you bought your first Ferrari did you feel intemadated by the car ie: knowing the history of the car you've just bought (where it all comes from and how it started), the power of the car that sits behind you in the egine bay or that sweet music that comes out the exhaust pipes etc. or did you feel self conscious for the first few times that you took her out for that early morning run and knowing that everyone around you is and would be staring at you and your new Ferrari?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Elated would be a better word that "intimidated". Self-conscious? Not at all.

Confident in the purchase? Yes.

I bought my first in Italy in 1974. It was a 246 Dino I today now regret having sold.

It came into the US under bond in a container, I went through considerable work to update and certify the car with EPA and DOT, and then enjoyed it for two years before I foolishly sold it.

The power of the car is to be respected but does not need to be used. That is usually for those who "have" to demonstrate they prowess.

After all, it's just a car.

I do get tremendous attention where ever I take the car, but it's probably as much the color as it is the car. That does not bother me.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Elated would be a better word that "intimidated". Self-conscious? Not at all.

Confident in the purchase? Yes.

I bought my first in Italy in 1974. It was a 246 Dino I today now regret having sold.
Elated indeed. My first was also a 246 Dino, bought in 1996. I just could not believe that this little red jewel was mine to drive. Whenever I wanted and without asking permission. I would drive and stare at it, I could not believe that it was mine. Living the dream. I was also sorry to sell it. But it enabled me to move up to the 512BB, so no regrets.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
The 512 is a very nice car but that Dino will probably appreciate greater long term.

Sorry I sold mine.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
You know, the power doesn't necessarily sit behind you when you get your first Ferrari. I didn't feel self conscious when I got my 550. I bought the car for me, not for anyone else. They can think whatever they want to think. I did feel initimated by the power and torque and took it easy for quite some miles, just testing it in straight line speed. After all, it was over 200bhp more powerful than the previous top-dog I drove (also a Ferrari, a 328GTS).

I felt mostly just sheer pleasure looking at the damn thing in the beautiful sunlight - it was a gorgeous day in Holland and I'll treasure that memory forever. I'm proud to say I sought out a tunnel outside of Amsterdam to hear that V12 cry through it's Tubi, though! :D

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Very intersting post

Non whatsoever. First F car was a F355B and it wasn't because I was dying to get one. (My friend talked me into my first purchase). Switch came in two years and this time I was truly interested in buying this '69 Dino Tipo L after much research regarding the car. I find that Dino is a car that you can enjoy and appreciate just looking at it alone from every possible angles. It is equivalent to seeing a gorgeous girl. (What am I saying !!!???) w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Mike

Intimidated by the car's dynamic attributes? Not at all. Self conscious? A little - but it was justified - people gawk at the car, kids wave... my wife interestingly did not and still to this day hates the attention the car gets.

The scariest part about owning a Ferrari for the first time for me was the concern that something big was going to break...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The 512 is a very nice car but that Dino will probably appreciate greater long term.

Sorry I sold mine.
I loved my Dino. For me, the BB512 was twice the car. At less money than the Dino, the BB seems to be relatively undervalued. It is also rarer than the Dino. I think that the BB would be the better investment but, as wiser people than I have said, buy the car to enjoy rather than purely as an investment. On this basis one cannot go wrong whether Dino or BB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts