Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a test done on the 360 with a radar gun, the car has OE wheels and tires. The speedo said 90 but the radar gun only showed 81. At 90mph for it to be a little over 10% off makes me wonder how far off the 360 speedo is at speeds of 150mph+

·
Registered
473 Posts
My Stradale speed trap numbers at Infineon raceway just recently were very accurate with my speedometer +- 2%.. Maybe u just have a bad speedo?

D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dermot said:
My Stradale speed trap numbers at Infineon raceway just recently were very accurate with my speedometer +- 2%.. Maybe u just have a bad speedo?

D
My experience with Ferrari's shows speedo to be out by about 8%. Co-incidentally Ducati speedos are intentionally 8% optimistic. I have heard many owners claim their speedo to be accurate, but never seen it for myself. Private radar units are also prone to inaccuracy due to a lack of regular calibration, as is required with police units. My scepticism comes from using a data logger and particularly at the race track whilst pacing someone and biting my tongue whilst listening to the fanciful speed claims.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
With the 308 you have to just be happy if the speedo works at all. I've never been too concerned with speedo accuracy. Usually the only time you look at the speedo is to see how slow the idiot in front of you is going.

The DOT speedo on the '79 only reads up to 80mph. If the nice policeman stops you and asks if you know how fast you were going you say, "Yes sir. 80." When he starts in with all that crazy talk of 100mph+ speeds you can show him the speedometer. "See, the car won't go over 80." :) :)

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Pete,

That would be awesome but my guess is that it won't work. I remember as a kid in high-school I would go nuts at how dumb my peers were. The y would look in the window of cars and assume the speedo recorded its actual top speed. I really don't think my Mom's sedan went up to 145 and my oldest brother proved it had a limitor that cut the gas at 100MPH racing his friend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
woodenwheel said:
If your non-stock wheels are smaller that would account for the speedo error.
Already stated that the car has ORIGINAL wheels and tires. I've talked to 23 other 360 owners that have tested their cars also and speedos were generally off 6-12%.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts