Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1980 308 GTSi
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the Ferrari world and I inherited an 80 308 GTSi and its been sitting for 28 yrs.
I don't just want to started it up since its been sitting for so long I have been told to drain the old fluids and ad new fluids then started it. Any pointers from the pros on here is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ruben,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very big congratulations on Ferrari ownership!
You’re going to want to change cam belts and bearings before you EVER Try to start this machine. This is an interference engine, meaning, if one of those belts break the valves will collide with the Pistons and it gets very expensive in short order. If it was me, I would pull all the spark plugs and spray some PB blaster in all the cylinders and let it sit for a day or two then try to turn the engine over by hand using a socket wrench on the end of the Engine crank very slowly just to make sure nothing is seized from sitting so long. If all looks good, throw some premium gas in the girl in a set of new plugs and see if she will fire. If it was parked with fuel in the tanks, you’re going to have to pull the gas tanks and fuel distributor and have them cleaned out. Keep us posted! Kim

·
Registered
5 Posts
A. Do not do anything to it.
B. Call Roselli (in San Jose) 408 257 0303.
C. Tell him your situation and see if you can make an appointment to have the car brought to his shop.
D. I have not had any experience with the shop, but they worked on my 360 before I bought it, and did a great job. Everything they fixed, has stayed fixed for the last five year.
E. What is your budget? This might not be cheap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have basic / above average mechanical skills and like wrenching on your own vehicles, you’ll be fine. This car doesn’t run on magic. Read up and become acquainted with your version of 308. Need advice just post it here. Lots of really good people here to help you out. ( BTW, change out those rubber fuel lines) If you have no interest in working on this little machine, then I would agree with the above post that this going to get really expensive.
Been an owner for 20 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with 308 Milano and especially like the line "This car doesn't run on magic". I have been an owner for 15 years and have performed many maintenance/repair jobs and never once had to use a magic wand or conjure up spirits to help.;)

If you are not mechanically inclined and/or do not want the project (clean and flush gas tank, change out all fuel lines, fuel distributor, plugs, and lots of etc.), then you have two options: 1. take the car to a shop or 2. Sell it as is.

There are a lot of independent shops in your area. Another I would recommend is Dino Motors in San Mateo. Johannes and Danny do great work. I bought a 308 serviced by them several years ago. I met Johannes at his shop for the inspection I told him the car was coming to the East Coast and no emmissions. Once I agreed to purchase the car, Johannes offered to re-jet and tune the carbs for better preformance - at no charge! He just loves these cars. When the car arrived in MD on the transport 10 days later the car definitely had been set up for more power and ran wonderfully.(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with curtisco63. Johannes would be the person to work on this car. He did his magic on my 1987 Mondial when I had it. Knows these older cars well. Now the trick is to convince him to come out of retirement to work on the car. Good luck with that. Danny could also work on it and maybe get Johannes to help him.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Might call Danny Miranda at Dino Motors. He says Johannes is back working in his shop (which was Johannes's shop before he sold it to Danny). Number is 650 571 0406.
I do not get anything from this if you call and decide to use him. I would talk to him as he commented about a number of things to check on a car this old.

Good luck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Congrats on your new to you Ferrari! They are a ton of fun and unlike many who are outside the Ferrari world almost everyone is really cool and humble...enjoy.

Reactions: 308 milano

·
Registered
18 Posts
Might call Danny Miranda at Dino Motors. He says Johannes is back working in his shop (which was Johannes's shop before he sold it to Danny). Number is 650 571 0406.
I do not get anything from this if you call and decide to use him. I would talk to him as he commented about a number of things to check on a car this old.

Good luck.
The last time I was out there on the Left Coast I stopped in to see Johannes and learned that he retired and sold the business to Danny. Of course Danny quickly told me that Johannes was in the shop on a regular basis - just not the day I stopped by. If Danny learns just some of Johannes knowledge and approach to these cars, Dino Motors will continue to be a great resource!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts