Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any information on the following cars, I know their history...

Wanted to know details of ownership from the 60's onwards....?

#0566 - 340/F1

#0574MD - 500 GP MD

Argento

·
Registered
745 Posts
Argento,

It is my opinion that 0574 was the second from last of the 500 Mondial Series II sports racers. Most likely driven by Siro Sbraci in the summer of 1955. That chassis is one of the lost cars in my list.

The crankcase currently stamped 0574 from that car is in the chassis of 0188 with a non-tipo 111 cylinder head. 0188 is in the Biscoretti Museum in Torino.

What history do you know about 0574?

Robert

·
Registered
300 Posts
Argento,

It is my opinion that 0574 was the second from last of the 500 Mondial Series II sports racers. Most likely driven by Siro Sbraci in the summer of 1955. That chassis is one of the lost cars in my list.

The crankcase currently stamped 0574 from that car is in the chassis of 0188 with a non-tipo 111 cylinder head. 0188 is in the Biscaretti Museum in Torino.

What history do you know about 0574?

Robert
Robert,
is this the car?
http://www.gdecarli.it/Per_forum/Museo Torino/Ferrari 500 F01.jpg
and
http://www.gdecarli.it/Per_forum/Museo Torino/Ferrari 500 F02.jpg
Best
Jurgen

·
Registered
745 Posts
Jurgen,

Yes I believe that to be 0188 with the four individual Weber carbs on an early 500 cylinder head mounted on a tipo 111 crankcase stamped 0574.

Robert

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anyone have any information on the following cars, I know their history...

#0574MD - 500 GP MD

Argento, at your convenience could you post your history of 0574?

Regards,

Robert
Robert,

It's a great privilege to semi-converse with you, is 0556 re-painted yet?

#0574F has an extremely brief history, truth is no-one knows if it raced at all?,

All I can tell you is it is a 500 F2 GP car currently displayed at Museo del Auto in Italy

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0574MD.500Mondial.htm

Argento

·
Registered
745 Posts

Argento, I enjoy the semi-conversations because I am happy to see that at least some in the younger generations are taking an interest in the early cars. Another reason is that some of the misinformation out there is because of some details in my earlier research and articles in Cavallino #61 and 62 which, in the light of later research, have proven inaccurate. Solving the early Ferrari history questions is like reading a fine mystery novel, except in our case we are occasionally surprised at the clues which arise unexpected.

Re: 0556(0446) please see the attached photo as the car looked at the FCA National Meet here in June 2006. The preservation process is going slowly, thoroughly and carefully and probably will not see the light blue paint until next fall. When finished I expect it to look as it did when winning the under 2 liter class at the November 1955 GP of Venezuela at the hands of Harry Schell and Eugenio Castellotti.

The Museum referenced by the Barchetta site is in Torino, Italy - the Biscoretti, and not in Mexico

Check out the 11th place finisher at Mugello on 5/5/55.

Regards,

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Argento, I enjoy the semi-conversations because I am happy to see that at least some in the younger generations are taking an interest in the early cars. Another reason is that some of the misinformation out there is because of some details in my earlier research and articles in Cavallino #61 and 62 which, in the light of later research, have proven inaccurate. Solving the early Ferrari history questions is like reading a fine mystery novel, except in our case we are occasionally surprised at the clues which arise unexpected.

Re: 0556(0446) please see the attached photo as the car looked at the FCA National Meet here in June 2006. The preservation process is going slowly, thoroughly and carefully and probably will not see the light blue paint until next fall. When finished I expect it to look as it did when winning the under 2 liter class at the November 1955 GP of Venezuela at the hands of Harry Schell and Eugenio Castellotti.

The Museum referenced by the Barchetta site is in Torino, Italy - the Biscoretti, and not in Mexico

Check out the 11th place finisher at Mugello on 5/5/55.

Regards,

Robert
Hey Robert,

Thanks for the clue ref: Mugello - Nicely done...

I think slow but steady progress is the order of the day with such a beautiful and important car as your's, Ensures future genarations may have their appetite's whetted just like we band of few...

The Blu you intend to restore 0556(0446) to, will that be Azzurro Ferrari or Azzurro Hyperion?

Best Regards & A Merry Christmas from the UK,

Argento:drive:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Argento,

Thank you for the Christmas wishes and may you have a Happy (and HEALTHY) New Year

The ADS (Assembly Data Sheets) for my car do not show the paint color, and for the competition cars in the 50’s that is not unusual. The car has had four different color paints in its first five years. In the middle stages of the ongoing conservation process I came across two circles of the original light blue which were protected by the washers of two electric switches on the instrument panel. Please see the attached photo. These bit of color have not been exposed to the sun so I expect that they are as close to the original color as anything I will find. That color matches the Sikkens Paint Book Chart Number 470C4 and that is what color we will use when we get to that point.

Best regards,

Robert

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts