Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Bit of help please if you can.

When I recently put the right hand indicator on, the bulbs inside and out flashed very very quickly. Obvious answer was a blown bulb!! The front right bulb appeared not to work but I tested it on the left side and it worked fine. I played around with headlights and after a while the indicator worked properly (probably a coincidence). Things worked normally for a few weeks of motoring but the problem has returned. I replaced the fuse of the hazard lights as this was in fact blown but right hand indicator still flashing rapidly. Has anyone experienced the same or have a clue as to what the problem could be? Now, because I have been starring at these indicators, the left side seems to flash a bit quicker than I remember. It may be my imagination but they are alittle quicker than the hazards when they flash.

Gratful for some help please.

Regards
Stuart

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Try replacing the turn signal flasher with a heavy duty flasher. The flasher is what makes the lights blink. There is a bi-metallic spring that the current flows through when you activate the directional. The current heats up the spring causing it to break the connection adn when the current flow is interrupted the spring cools and remakes the contact and the process is repeated. The flasher is old, it probably has a little corrosion on the contacts which increases the resistance increasing the heat and it takes less time for the flasher to break the connection. The hazard lights appear normal because they use a different flasher.

The flasher is a fairly standard unit that you can get at any parts store. I wouldn't bother telling them what you have for a car because they probably won't have a listing. Just remove the old one and walk into the parts store and tell the clerk you need one of these. Should only be a couple of bucks. I'm not sure exactly where the turn signal flasher is on the 328, it should be right next to the fuse box and it would be one of those round silver doo-dads. The easiest way to figure out which one it is is to active the turn signal and pull out the one that is clicking. I doubt it but check to see if there is a separate one for left and right.

If it is not the flasher than you may have a bad connection or a short somewhere in the turn signal wiring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Pete,

I have already taken the panel off to look at the fuse box. I can hear something ticking so I guess that's the flasher unit you mentioned. I was looking at the relays above the line of fuses but from what you are saying I guess they are somewhere else ? Is it likely that if there is one flasher unit only one side could malfunction?

Regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts