Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was an article about the number of our cars sold per year. It quoted the president of Ferrari as saying in 1999 that Ferrari will not make more than 4,000 cars per year ever. In 2006, it sold 5,700 new ones. The main reason is the buyers in China and India. Porsche sold over 100,000 units.

I do not care. The 550 Maranello sits in my garage. May the rich people buy a 430 or the next rear engine V-8. Money does not mean you know anything. When one may purchase the best, then one should buy the very best. Of course, the very best is a V-12 Ferrari. Nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the V-12 production Ferrari from Maranello, Italy.

Older ones have a special feeling about them, even V-8s.

:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
was an article about the number of our cars sold per year. It quoted the president of Ferrari as saying in 1999 that Ferrari will not make more than 4,000 cars per year ever. In 2006, it sold 5,700 new ones. The main reason is the buyers in China and India. Porsche sold over 100,000 units.

Probably just covering his ass.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Ferrari S.p.a made something like 600M Euro profit last year, the beancounters are running the show now, if they could up production to 100000 units a year and make the sort of profit Porsche does, I bet they would jump at the chance. Exclusivity of the brand died when Enzo died. If Ferrari can allow Barbie doll to wear Ferrari clothes and drive a pink 348, they are more interested in profit than in their brands image. Can you imagine Enzo ever allowing that?

Did I hear correctly that Porsche now has a controlling 42% of the shares in the VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda/Lamborghini/Bugatti/Bentley group? How will that effect production of cars such as the RS8/Gallardo/Continental GT and other 911 rivals?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Ferrari at 100k units per year. I doubt it. I do think the new goal is 10,000 per year which is consistent with the addition of one more manufacturing line (currently under construction in Maranello). My guess is that this will be for the new "Dino".
I was just hypothetically speaking, of course it's highly unlikely they will get production to 100K units a year, 10K will be a stretch, they don't have the infrastructure and it would take years of investment to get there. I was just pointing out that the people at the top (the accountants) would probably jump at the chance of making 100K units P.A if they could make the sort of money Porsche must be making if it can afford to take over the VW Group. Who know's they might be able to take over the Fiat group;) For them it's business and making money, they probably don't have the same kind of romantic ideas of Ferrari that we have.
I would prefer them to stay a low volume producer and keep the exclusivity, Porsche's are too common, I don't want Ferrari to become as common as Porsche. Sometimes I can go for weeks without seeing a Ferrari, but I bet I see at least 50 Boxsters, 911's and Cayennes every day

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I think it is a great looking car, especially the Spider. However if they do go ahead with production I hope they go with:

- 6 cylinder turbo engine

or 8 cylinder but make the 430 replacement a 10 cylinder

I would also like to see them take a risk and do something different by making it a 3 seater along the lines of the McLaren F1 or 365 P.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I think it is a great looking car, especially the Spider. However if they do go ahead with production I hope they go with:

I would also like to see them take a risk and do something different by making it a 3 seater along the lines of the McLaren F1 or 365 P.
I thought I read a quote from the President flat out denying that this car is even a concept on paper at the company. A smoke screen or reality?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
:) :) :) That would be fantastic, I have a 2 seater which is mine and my 4 & 1/2 yr old sons car. My wife is expecting another child in November, and my son is worried that I might take the baby out in the 328 instead of him. A perfect solution.
No need for a 2+2, my wife isn't interested in cars, and has never even sat in the 328.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I thought I read a quote from the President flat out denying that this car is even a concept on paper at the company. A smoke screen or reality?
You know how these things go, they'll deny anything and everything to keep the buzz under control.

I expect that if they do make ~4k units under the Dino name it will end up being my first Ferrari/Dino. They will flood the market, they will loose their exclusivity, price will plummet, and I will reap the benefits in 5 years. Unless of course I can afford a 355 by then ;).

·
Registered
2,884 Posts

it would be amazing if Ferrari dared to do something like that, I really think that the Ferrari models now are too perfect, but kind of boring

of course, compared to anything normal, the F430 is a great car, but compare it to a 512 BB, or a 308 GTB, and it seems like a family car

the idea of a turbocharged Dino sounds great to me, but I don't think Ferrari will go back to turbo engines, witch is a shame, I think

but I don't like the design shown in those pictures you posted, it looks too much like the Porsche Cayman/Boxster, and that's not good

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
but I don't like the design shown in those pictures you posted, it looks too much like the Porsche Cayman/Boxster, and that's not good
Elements of BMW 1 series, Cayman, Audi TT and of course Ferrari in there. Personally I think it's one of those shapes that will grow on you. I remember when the 360 was launched, it hated it, how could they better the 355 which was automotive perfection and the best looking car ever? The 355 looks dated now and I quite like the 360

·
Registered
271 Posts
Elements of BMW 1 series, Cayman, Audi TT and of course Ferrari in there. Personally I think it's one of those shapes that will grow on you. I remember when the 360 was launched, it hated it, how could they better the 355 which was automotive perfection and the best looking car ever? The 355 looks dated now and I quite like the 360
Nope the 355 is the most beautiful thing too look at. 360 is good but the 355 is far far better IMHO.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Nope the 355 is the most beautiful thing too look at. 360 is good but the 355 is far far better IMHO.
Yep, you're right, I still prefer the 355 and would buy one over a 360 anyday, but I don't mind the 360 as much now, initially it was the lights that put me off. I think I've just got used to them over time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep, you're right, I still prefer the 355 and would buy one over a 360 anyday, but I don't mind the 360 as much now, initially it was the lights that put me off. I think I've just got used to them over time.
Is there a chance that money is what is deciding here :)
The 360 is almost twice the price than the 355.

I dont know about you fellas, but I quite like the F430 more than any Ferrari outthere, except the Enzo and F50. The F40 is too much of a brut force for me.
I want the F430, now! :)

They say its a good thing being a dreamer ;)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Is there a chance that money is what is deciding here :)
The 360 is almost twice the price than the 355.
I don't know what prices are like in the rest of Europe or USA, but in the UK, 360 prices are dropping like a stone, oversupply is the problem. You can get an early low mileage modena for almost the same money as a good 355, between 50-60K GBP will get you a good 360 now and only 40-50K for a 355.

I'd stick out my neck and say in time the 355 will be a far more desirable car than the 360 and will be worth more money in 20 years - rather like the 328 vs 348.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i also have noticed the price of the 360 falling rapidly in the UK
seems to be very little sometimes less than 10K GBP between the two models
but
for some reason i would have the F355
dont know why , 360 newer faster maybe even better looking
but F355 just has something over it that i cant explain

1 - 20 of 21 Posts