749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES! We finally have a deal. :up: :up:
One 3.2 Mondial is now coming in. :eek:ha:

Details:
Late '87
S/N 73487
Rosso / Tan with Tan carpets
2-owner (1st was only for 1500km, 2nd was wife of a dealer)
Mileage 30% higher than avg but well maintained & full records
Nice & original throughout

Sorry but no photos possible yet (first, the digi cam got dropped & it's lens is hanging out, & second the car is still at the dealer's waiting for tyres). Hopefully photos in a week. :cry:

ps: The kids are full stoked (or something like that)!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Congrats Man! Long coming and well deserved.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Alright! Way to go! My Mondial was so fun to drive; much more so than the 308 even though I favored it.

Please let us know your impressions. I really think you'll love the cab-forward design. It feels like your sitting a foot behind the front fender.

Congrats! I'm happy for you.

10-6za,

D

·
Registered
770 Posts
Delighted for you!!!

I know how I felt when the deal finally got done - I didn't sleep for 2 days before I picked it up!!!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Where did you find it?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Bazil said:
Delighted for you!!!

I know how I felt when the deal finally got done - I didn't sleep for 2 days before I picked it up!!!

quote]

Bazil,

I hear ya' buddy. I will never, I mean never, forget when I first saw, started and drove the 308. My wife and I pulled over so I could just sit and stare.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's about time buddy! :wink:
But the wait will surely pale in comparison to the driving!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, & thanks again for your encouragement over the past year. Together you guys/girls all make this such a great site.

Haven't picked the car up yet (is still at dealer's getting some work I want done & waiting forever for some new rear tyres). But did drive it yesterday for the first time. I gotta admit is was a bit of an anticlimax :cry: as I could only take it for a few kms around the Kings Cross district. Very narrow roads, lots of speed humps/roundabouts, lots of broken surface, bumps & potholes, lots of traffic, speed cameras, 60km/hr speedlimit, etc, etc. Ugh! Only got into 4th once for a few seconds & never over about 5500rpm. Definitely not F-car territory! :ugh: :ugh:

First impressions? Poor gearchange (super-notchy) and suspension (hard, poor over bumps). Nothing that won't be sorted over the next week or two.

Should finally have it at the end of next week & will make sure I have a camera by then for you guys! :eek:ha:

·
Registered
476 Posts
guys/girls?

There are girls on this site?

Oh, wait I digress. Gearbox. GM SYNCHROMESH!!! Can't say that enough. It will help with the shifting. Also, these gearboxes take a long while to warm up. You may not have driven it enough to do so. Always just bypass 2nd gear untill it is. It'll pull in 3rd. :D

Suspension. Yes it does seat four but it is a sports car. That means compromise. Stiff suspensions handle the road at higher speeds better than soft. Ferraris are made to go fast. You'll appreciate that suspension as soon as you get some speed built up.

Did it at least sound as good as you thought it would?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sound and performance was right on the money, even at only 5-5.5 max. :eek:ha:

My impression of both the sub-standard gearchange & suspension was based on other Mondials I've driven - this one just needs a bit of TLC here & there. For example the pre-purch inspection noted that the control arm bushes have seen better days & driving it just confirmed it. That's cool, as I will get a lot of satisfaction from improving the car, esp doing the easier stuff (eg suspension bushes) myself.

I mentioned GM Synchromesh to the mech Charles (based on your earlier advice). He didn't seem to be aware of it, probably because we don't have GM-brand lubes here? Do you know the Castrol-branded equivalent? He is putting in the proper-spec Agip - I'll let you know if it improves the shift. If not I'd be happy to refill with an alternative.

ps: Re girls ... don't forget our Olga from Russia!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Awesome man. I know you've looked everywhere for the right one. Is this one a cabrio? I'm glad you finally found it. Take care.

·
Registered
900 Posts
senna21 said:
Ooops kis4fish I was a bit wrong. The product is Penzoil Syncromesh not Castrol.

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/gear_oil/syncro_fluid.html

I hope this is more available for you than the GM products. But, I know GM sells cars there. Not badged as GM of course. In Europe their Opel. I do know they run in the V8 Sedan series there... but I can't remember the Marquee name.
Holden

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We've finally got it home after 2 weeks in the shop getting a full service, rear tyres, cambelts/tensionsers/seals/tappets, etc, etc.

Drove SO much better I can't believe the difference those guys made. I keep pinching myself - the car is just SO GOOD for the money & has been so well cared for.

Anyway, some photos ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts