Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

been walking around in this pink haze because of this thing I found on the 'net yesterday, a 246S racer recreation:

http://www.aston.co.uk/carsales_index/php/action/details/car/465/Ferrari/Ferrari-246S-Dino-Front-Engine-Sports-Racer

Just absolutely amazing. I've been frantically trying to convince myself I can afford it but borrowing money to buy a classic Ferrari is not an avenue I want to go down, so the answer will have to be no.

It's a replica of course - Ferrari only made 3 original ones in 1960, and they would go for 3 - 5 million euros I would guess. But this replica is at least hammered by the same craftsmen that created the original ones, just 8 years earlier. It would be the closest I would ever get to owning a real one. And cars like this, even if not original, hold their value very well. After all, there's very few good ones out there.

Any opinions on this? Should I sell my most valuable relative ASAP?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
275 Posts
IMHO: no, don't sell your 550. It's not worth it in the end. I know you like to drive your beautifull 550 anywhere and you enjoy every mile of it. So if you don't, you miss every mile you could have driven the 550. Although the 246S is a stunning car, it is neither practical or really driveable for regular use and sorry but in the end it is still a recreation (agree, a great one indeed)
Hope the gold prices will rocket and so you can get to join the 550.

Cheers,
L

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Onno, it is absolutely beautiful, if I'm honest it is one of the nicest cars I have ever set eyes on. You know your financial position better than anyone else. If you afford it, buy it, if you cant, can you raise the cash and afford the repayments? if you can't do either, move on and try to get it out of your head.
You are only here once, go with your gut instinct. Life's too short for regret

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I agree with both Archie and Louis on this one.

But if it was me, I wouldn't buy it, even being one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on 4 wheels.

Too beautiful to be driven.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Agree with Louis355. It simply is not the real thing, no matter how pretty it is. Also, unless they used a genuine 2.4 racing engine, there was no roadgoing 2.4 motor in 1968. Perhaps you will find that parts of the car come from 1968 with other parts coming from later. A bit of a bitsa.

Given a choice and money no object, I would take the 550 any day. The fact that I have another GBP 100,000 in the budget after choosing the 550 is a massive bonus. 550 plus BB for the same money as a fake? Yessir!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Louis + Vitalone, I would never sell the 550 to afford this. I was thinking family members into slavehood... i.e. I was joking.

With regard to authenticity: it is a complete non-issue for me. Who cares if it is not original? I will never drive an original one, let alone own one. I would buy this as an awesome driving experience with the added benefit that in fact it is partly original. A toy for the weekend, nothing more. There is an increasing appreciation for recreations of this kind of quality, as well, with guaranteed non-depreciation and likely appreciation.

And what is original these days? Strike up that conversation with Jim Glickenhaus regarding his P3 which has a chassis number that was declared "destroyed" by Ferrari or with Chris Evans regarding his 7 million dollar Spyder with fake engine... the fact is that a lot of "originals" are not nearly as original as we think.

In short - I love it. But I won't buy it because I simply can't afford it. Unless I sell the 550. Therefore: I can't afford it.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts